Latest Garmin Wrist GPSr/Watch

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Latest Garmin Wrist GPSr/Watch

Post by rhinogeo » 06 January 08 7:02 pm

<p>I came across the latest Garmin Forerunner 405 today</p>

<object width="425" height="373"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NUCyjfyVigU&re ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NUCyjfyVigU&rel=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="373"></embed></object>

<p>It only holds 100 waypoints and I wouldn't use one over my new Vista Hcx but the wrist GPSrs are certainly geting better </p>

allrounder
3500 or more caches found

Post by allrounder » 07 January 08 1:20 am

I use the 305 while Fore! & Shadow! use the 201...

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 07 January 08 11:36 am

At last! One that you wouldn't mind wearing as a watch instead of as a gadget only to be strapped on when required as a GPSr!
(and this is from a man who's worn a geeky Casio DBX-102 calculator watch for the last decade!)

PDA in pocket for the descriptions and GPSr on wrist for the magic arrow; spontaneous caching just got even easier!

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 07 January 08 2:22 pm

allrounder wrote:I use the 305 while Fore! & Shadow! use the 201...
<P>
Is that your only GPS or is it used for running and you occasionally use it to find caches?

The Swaggies
3000 or more caches found

Post by The Swaggies » 07 January 08 9:53 pm

Could be good for geocaching by pushbike!

Can you buy them in Australia yet :o

allrounder

Post by allrounder » 08 January 08 12:16 am

big_matt wrote:Is that your only GPS or is it used for running and you occasionally use it to find caches?
<p>It's my main GPS (which I also use for running!) - I do have a Nokia 6110 Navigator and use that interstate for finding the best* roads to caches. I have often combined a running session with caching!

<p><i>* see our logs - mine, Fore!'s and Shadow!'s - for "Pinch Me"!</i>

Udderchaos
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Udderchaos » 08 January 08 9:10 am

theres already a bike one. really good too tracks old routes and you can race yourself from previous rides

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 08 January 08 11:23 am

the 405 only has a 8 hr battery life when out in the field in 'training mode'!! :shock:
Damn, and it was looking good.
I guess it's ok for short runs though..

luckdogscrew
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by luckdogscrew » 08 January 08 11:39 am

I thought it could be an answer to replace my polar, but with only an eight hour battery life its a real limitation. You could not really wear it as a watch all the time, and then go for a 4-5 hour ride.

Lets hope they come up with a better battery life soon.

Also does it have an arrow to follow, if not how would you effectively use it for caching?

rhinogeo
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 08 January 08 3:22 pm

luckdogscrew wrote:
Also does it have an arrow to follow, if not how would you effectively use it for caching?
I haven't been able to find a shot of the 405 but it's probably similar to the 305's navigation screen<br> Image

The Swaggies

Post by The Swaggies » 09 January 08 10:21 pm

Udderchaos wrote:theres already a bike one. really good too tracks old routes and you can race yourself from previous rides
Which one do you recommend for bikes that's not too expensive, and good for geocaching, that is has an arrow to follow?

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

But does it tell the time?

Post by If » 10 January 08 5:01 pm

Only one problem that I can not see :D
The screens are too small to display any useful map information :?
I hate trying to follow an arrow around the suburbs or bush. A map makes life SO MUCH EASIER :P
These watches are great for keeping track of where you've been, but not so great for where you're going :shock:
The joggers will love them :D

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 10 January 08 10:10 pm

I see it as the hi-tech equivalent of an orienteer's thumb compass. Not what you'd use for surveying or to seriously follow a bearing, but something that you can glance at while keeping your hands free and your attention on where you're going.

I won't buy one, because I just bought a new hand-held GPSr, but I can see this being a useful addition to a GPSr-enabled PDA/Smartphone with decent maps to get you to the vicinity. Then you put that safely away and follow the arrow with your hands free for the final approach.

The Swaggies

Post by The Swaggies » 10 January 08 10:21 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:I see it as the hi-tech equivalent of an orienteer's thumb compass. Not what you'd use for surveying or to seriously follow a bearing, but something that you can glance at while keeping your hands free and your attention on where you're going.

I won't buy one, because I just bought a new hand-held GPSr, but I can see this being a useful addition to a GPSr-enabled PDA/Smartphone with decent maps to get you to the vicinity. Then you put that safely away and follow the arrow with your hands free for the final approach.
Yes that is what I am thinking as well. I am not too good on a pushbike anymore (a bit wobbly) so I do not want to mount the 60Cx on the handlebars of the bike in case I lose it if I have a crash. I would rather use something like this so it leaves my hands free to steer the bike.

Then again maybe I should just buy a yellow etrex and mount that on the handle bars instead. Its probably cheaper that the 405 anway and I have most of the RAM bracket for it.