Garmin Software :- Base Camp vs Mapsource

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Garmin Software :- Base Camp vs Mapsource

Post by gmj3191 » 01 September 10 10:45 am

I have had a GPSMap 60 CSx for quite a few years, and along the way I have purchased
City Navigator Australia NT and
City Navigator Europe NT
using Mapsource to load them on my GPS. I occasionally use Mapsource to manipulate waypoints and tracks, do routes etc., but for most purposes I now use GSAK and Oziexplorer working with Google Maps to plan trips and so on.

Last night I downloaded Garmin Base Camp and I've had a bit of a fiddle with it.
As part of the installation process it "noticed" that I had the City Navigator map sets, and linked them in.
As far as I can see, Base Camp can do everything Mapsource can do plus it can load satellite photos of terrain into the new devices using the Birdseye subscription service and it has links back into Garmin for other commercial purposes such as updating your maps.

So far I haven't seen anything that Mapsource can do that Base Camp can't, but equally I haven't seen anything that actually says Base Camp is a replacement for Mapsource.

Am I missing something here?

gmj3191

Re: Garmin Software :- Base Camp vs Mapsource

Post by gmj3191 » 05 September 10 11:58 am

Just a dummy post to get this in focus again in case anyone wants to comment :-k

edmil
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by edmil » 05 September 10 8:28 pm

If you use mapsource City navigator then you can use it for routing. As far as I know Base camp is just a base map. I have both I use Base camp less and less as it seems to have little functionality and is quite slow when loading birds eye.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 05 September 10 11:10 pm

You can use Base Map for calculating routes.
The process is a bit different, but it still works.

The Swaggies
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by The Swaggies » 20 January 11 10:31 pm

I thought the only purpose for Base Camp is that it is the vehicle for loading Google Earth maps on to your GPS! It is good at that, but it seams a little clunky to be used as a navigation device by its self.

Base Camp also picked up the OSM street maps that I have installed (on the Oregon) and you can use the Google Earth maps with them too.

Have I missed something else here?