[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 121: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Geocaching Australia - View topic - Newbie thread: Which PDA/GPS combination to buy?
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 18 November 17 10:21 am

Newbie thread: Which PDA/GPS combination to buy? 

GCA Found: 16
GCA Hidden: 0
Post Re: Newbie thread: Which PDA/GPS combination to buy?

12 January 11 3:10 pm
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

GCA Found: 157
GCA Hidden: 44
100 GCA Finds
HardcoreHarris wrote:
Off topic but I really hate GC and their stoopid rules, GCA is much better I find and I list all my caches on GCA now, shame they wont be picked up on peoples iPhone but meh.

A lot of cacher use Geosphere on the iPhone, that takes GCA caches no dramas, so don't fret! :lol:

14 January 11 7:49 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ WWW

I have got Geosphere but have yet to try it out.

Interesting about the delay when typing. I don't have that problem on my iPhone 4 with version 4.2.1
Just tried it and the text appears instantly as I press a "key".

14 January 11 11:09 pm

My iPhone has latest software operating system.

Make sure you have the latest GC software update. There was a note (GC forum? or somewhere I read) that in the previous version there was a memory leak which eventually slowed the app down just like you said.

On reflection, that happened to me - slow typing. All OK when I rebooted the phone - for a while. So try that or better still make sure you have updated the app which is supposed to fix the problem.

Mike

22 January 11 1:46 pm
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

GCA Found: 149
GCA Hidden: 10
100 GCA Finds
Post Re:
ruzzelz wrote:
I need to come down from the trees (or at least stop using the trees) and start paperless caching. Hence do I go for a PDA or a mobile? I looked at the Nokia N 95 but having to download maps on the fly seems to be a possible cost blow out.

I also wish to use the device to assit in holding travel information for an upcoming OS holiday.

Will a HP iPAQ 112 do me fine or not. I'm not that worried about the mobile phone but paperless caching, GPS if possible and some additional features would be good

I have a Map 60CSx and it appears I could get EU maps for this at the right price.

I went to Europe (Greece, Italy, Switzerland, France) last year and found CN Europe on my 60 CSx (now superceded by my Oregon 550) to be invaluable.
All the hotels and tourist sites were in there as POIs with info such as telephone numbers, address etc.

22 January 11 2:47 pm
Profile E-mail
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

GCA Found: 76
GCA Hidden: 10
!mike wrote:
My iPhone has latest software operating system.

Make sure you have the latest GC software update. There was a note (GC forum? or somewhere I read) that in the previous version there was a memory leak which eventually slowed the app down just like you said.

On reflection, that happened to me - slow typing. All OK when I rebooted the phone - for a while. So try that or better still make sure you have updated the app which is supposed to fix the problem.

Mike

Hi there, was this happening to you today?? I had exactly the same issues. Didn't bother rebooting though but there was a definate lag in the typing. I have not noticed it before today so it may well have been some issue today and may not happen again.
I've got V4.2.2

22 January 11 9:54 pm
Profile E-mail