Newbie thread: Which Garmin handheld GPS to buy?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found

Re: Newbie thread: Which Garmin handheld GPS to buy?

Post by quiet1_au » 19 February 12 4:58 pm

Lmac201 wrote:Had a read through this thread and couldn't really find the answer I'm looking for... so here goes..

I'm tossing around the idea of buying a basic entry-level GPSr and want to buy a Garmin. Been window shopping online and now am wondering if someone can tell me which would be the better buy - the eTrex H or the eTrex 10? Or is there any difference (apart from the case)?

With the current cashback offer it sits them both at roughly around the same price.

Thanks for any and all advice. :)
I haven't used any of these, but purely looking at the specs it's not an easy choice it seems :

There are two eTrex H models that I can see - Legend and Vista - the Vista adds a barometric altimeter and electronic compass (and perhaps other features) which neither the Legend H nor 10 have.

The older H models have higher resolution LCD screens, the 10 has a lower resolution transflective screen - but without detailed maps that may count for little in real life...

Battery life on the 10 is (according to the specs) several hours longer than the H models (25 vs 18).

The 10 does do paperless caching, but the H models also say they're "geocaching friendly" (doesn't specifically say paperless though) - if you're planning on geocaching a lot, that one feature can be very useful.

The 10 allows custom POIs - the H models don't

None of them allow expansion by memory cards - so you're limited there, but the H models have 24MB internal memory (10 seems to have none or at least it's not specified). You may be able to add topo or OSM maps or similar

By price with the cashback (using online prices from an Australian GPS store I refer to often) - the Legend is $99, 10 is $115 (after cashback) and the Vista $139 The 10 is a new model, the other two are ?? years old now. But the screenshots of the H models suggest a better, more detailed basemap? (this view is lacking on the 10 so hard to say for sure).

You'd best do an instore side-by-side comparison!

:-$

alfyboy
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by alfyboy » 22 February 12 10:19 am

When I first started caching, I tried my Tom Tom which didn't do the job for me. I splurged out and bought the Oregon 550 and let me tell you, I haven't looked back. It's great paperless caching, with all cache info at your'e hand. Description, logs (only the last 5 though) and hints. Changing compass bearing from offroad to onroad is great when driving in the car as it gives my warning beeps for each turn to take. Compass is 3 axis, which means I can hold the device in any direction and I'll still get a true reading.

I did have some hiccups though. I few little freezes, and accidential reset of the device, but that was because I hadn't locked it from random finger presses while in my pocket. It fits well in my hand, is waterproof and with rechargable batteries I get around 6-8 hours of use. The price is still high, but if you can afford it, it's the weapon of choice (for me). :D

2max
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by 2max » 23 February 12 9:46 am

Thanks for the great advice quiet1 and alfyboy, it's all a bit tricky when just starting out so I really appreciate your comments! I think the paperless caching sounds really good. I have my phone, but then I guess it depends on whether I get service at the time.. It seems that most GPSr's are gearing themselves towards doing the paperless thing anyway so probably the best idea.

With the 10's lacking in detailed maps.. I've seen some screenshots (in ad's) that just show basic line drawings, is that all they are capable of? And do they show ALL roads, or just all major roads? And 2wd or 4wd suitability? I'm guessing the 10's won't show topography. Not that I'll be tackling any of Derringer's (yes I have already learned about the famous Derringer caches, and have trembled at the thought..!!) any time soon, but wouldn't it be handy to have better maps even for drive-by's?

quiet1, you're right about needing to do an instore side-by-side. I'm in a rural area so my closest camping/outdoors store is about 45mins away so I'll have to find some time to get over there soon. Then hope they actually carry a few different models in stock. I think when I'm ready to purchase I'll ask in the Vic section if there are any locals around who might be able to recommend a store. That way I can strike while the iron's hot, instead of wasting the money on silly things like feeding the family and such. (I'm kidding.. I think 8-[ ) Thanks again, your input has been terrific. :D

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 February 12 10:57 am

There's a GCA Guru out your way (somewhere).
http://geocaching.com.au/search/gurus/au/vic.gmap

Crisp image is out at Moe.
http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/Crisp%20image

Don't know what sort of GPS they use, but give them a hoy and maybe you can get together to chat.

2max
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by 2max » 24 February 12 3:03 pm

Thanks CAW, that's a good idea. I've seen Crisp Image's name pop up in the caches I've found so good to know they are willing to be contacted for help/advice (I presume that's what the Guru map is for anyway!) :)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 February 12 4:04 pm

Guru's are self nominated and active to do the below. So Crisp image should be fine with your contacting them (him / her ).
Geocachers who are new to geocaching, future geocachers who are interested but don't know how to go about getting started or people who are interested in talking about geocaching can be easily confused by the amount of information out there and it's not always easy to get a simple understanding of geocaching.

Here you can search for your closest Geocaching Guide / Guru who has been active within the last 90 days and make contact with them to help you understand more of the fun of geocaching.

A Geocaching Guide / Guru is willing to:

Help you find out more about geocaching.
Help you understand how to go about finding and/or hiding caches as well as logging caches at Geocaching.com and Geocaching Australia.
Get out in the field and let you see what's it's all about by letting you 'follow the arrow', 'do the circle dance' and 'get down and dirty'.

Contacting a Geocaching Guide / Guru is a more than just an email or phone conversation. It's also about getting out there and getting all physical.

mraussieadventurer

Post by mraussieadventurer » 02 April 12 9:58 am

hey guys i am thinking of buying a garmin gpsmap 62s
i have been using a etrex 10 but i find it to be to much of a simplified gps like no maps and it only zooms into about 20 ft
if anyone has a garmin gpsmap62s it would be really helpful if you told me what you think about it cheers

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 02 April 12 11:33 am

Hi mraussieadventurer. With appropriate maps, I use a 62S for pretty much everything GPS including geocaching, bushwalking, mapping, street-by-street navigating, boating/fishing, etc. Most modern handheld GPS units with similar specs do a similar job, so if you like the features of the GPSmap 62S (which I do) then it definitely should be on your shortlist IMO.

Zooms in to 5 metres on the scale, which is more than ample for me. Cheers.

Ian&Tracey

Post by Ian&Tracey » 02 June 12 8:06 pm

Hi guys
We have been on a few geocache with our son and are now ready to launch out on our own.
Looking at the Etrex 20....is this a good unit??? Any downsides???
Do you then need to purchase maps or are the ones that are included sufficient.
Assume the maps then need to be updated over time and is there a huge cost there
Thanks in advance
Tracey

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 02 June 12 11:57 pm

Ian&Tracey wrote:Hi guys
We have been on a few geocache with our son and are now ready to launch out on our own.
Looking at the Etrex 20....is this a good unit??? Any downsides???
Do you then need to purchase maps or are the ones that are included sufficient.
Assume the maps then need to be updated over time and is there a huge cost there
Thanks in advance
Tracey
The maps that come preloaded are terrible.
However there are free alternates that are nearly up to Garmin's standard. I recommend OSMosmaustralia.org
There are some map gurus on these forums so I expect one of them to comment soon.
There is also shonkymaps

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 03 June 12 12:07 am

akkatracker wrote: The maps that come preloaded are terrible.
However there are free alternates that are nearly up to Garmin's standard. I recommend OSMosmaustralia.org
There are some map gurus on these forums so I expect one of them to comment soon.
There is also shonkymaps
The OSM Australia maps are great for most places (and considering they are free they are GREAT)
I've said it before, but the Garmin 'Basemap' that you get in their devices is actually worse than no map at all, without a shadow of exaggeration.

A set of Garmin Maps such as their TOPO Australia maps will add $200-$300 to your purchase, and they are not bad, but don't be fooled, they don't update them often.

In short, as akkatracker says: go to http://osmaustralia.org, download the maps for your state and you'll be set up good enough for caching.

Pics below from my Oregon 300, but you'll get the gist.

Garmin Basemap:

Garmin TOPO maps (Cost me $300):

Free Opeenstreetmaps:

Free Opeenstreetmaps with Contours:

Ian&Tracey

Post by Ian&Tracey » 03 June 12 6:45 pm

Thanks Akka and Rat..that is helpful, I won't bother buying maps then
Nephew works at a store that sells Garmin, they have a Extrex 30 and hoping to get that at a good mates rate
Then I will probably return to the forum to glean a better understanding of how to work it all out
Son, unfortunately lives in Melbourne so no help at all

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 10 July 12 10:25 pm

Does anyone have one of the new Etrex 30 's. Can you give a quick review????? Pro's con's????

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 10 July 12 10:38 pm

Craig you need to stop admiring the maps on the GPSr and actually go get those caches

quiet1_au

Post by quiet1_au » 10 July 12 10:58 pm

CraigRat wrote:
akkatracker wrote: A set of Garmin Maps such as their TOPO Australia maps will add $200-$300 to your purchase, and they are not bad, but don't be fooled, they don't update them often.
And when they do, they'll most likely expect you to pay for the update - I bought the Europe maps for my trip over there - they were fine, but months later were out of date with the expectation I should buy it... I'd have used OSM-based maps but at the time the routing wasn't really operational, so not much good for driving (I did use them for geocaching though and they were excellent! I use the German openmtbmap.org version - but want to revisit the local version)

:-$