OziCE - convert track to route

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

OziCE - convert track to route

Post by Ebenezer » 01 April 04 9:38 am

<p>I thought I might cross-post this here (from <a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ozi-UsersCE/">the OziCE forum on Yahoo</a>). I'm not sure if you have ever used the route navigation feature of OziExplorer CE, but it is quite handy. One of the big advantages is that it can prompt you (voice prompting) when you get to a waypoint on the route which way to turn, and how far the turn is away.</p>

<p>The only disadvantage with this feature is that it can be tedious to create all but the simplest routes. If I drive (or walk) along a particular route my GPS records a track log. Ozi can't navigate you through a track log.</p>

<p>Fortunately G7ToCE can convert a track log (saved as an Ozi .plt file) to a route. This is still not perfect, as it will convert every track point into a route waypoint. This means that Ozi will prompt you which way to go at points when you probably don't need directions. To fix this requires some manual editing to turn route waypoints into silent ones if you don't want prompting there. I am still searching for some software that can intelligently work out for itself whether a point is at a turn or not.</p>

<p>Here is the procedure:</p>

<ul>
<li>Open the track (.plt) file in G7ToCE.
<li>Open the track list (Trk|List)
<li>Tap and hold the first track point, and choose Select All from the
menu.
<li>Tap and hold the first track point and choose Cvt Sel Trks to Route.
<li>Enter a route name.
<li>Open the route list (Rte|List)
<li>Tap the route you just created
<li>Tap and hold the route name, and choose Send Sel Rte to File.
<li>Change the file type to "Ozi Route (*.rte)". (Don't use the .rt2
type - G7ToCE won't export any data) Enter an appropriate file name
and tap OK.
<li>Now quit G7ToCE, and open the .rte file you just created in Ozi.
</ul>

<p>If you want to convert any of the waypoints into silent ones, you
can tap and hold the waypoint (in Ozi) and choose "Silent" from the menu.</p>

<p>If you save the file from Ozi it will use the rt2 extension.</p>