GSAK instructions

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
tronador
6500 or more caches found

GSAK instructions

Post by tronador » 24 March 07 10:19 pm

I keep hearing great things about GSAK. I downloaded the program but have no idea how it works. Are there simple step by step instructions to get started? And where do you find these?

ArgusTuft

Re: GSAK instructions

Post by ArgusTuft » 24 March 07 11:18 pm

tronador wrote:I keep hearing great things about GSAK. I downloaded the program but have no idea how it works. Are there simple step by step instructions to get started? And where do you find these?
I've been using GSAK (v6.??) and registered it after about 3 days. I can tell you (with SOME authority) that the HELP files can be found under your F1 key or by clicking on the Help thingy. I've given a wheelie point-of-view in another thread called "How do YOU do it" where I explain how I use GSAK and OziExplorer to decide on which caches to attempt. To begin using GSAK, make a list of caches that interest you. Place the list in a file of its own. Try a list of NSW caches in GPX format obtainable from here on GCA. Once you've got your list, start GSAK then start a new database(Click "Database" ythen "New"). Call your new database whatever you like but I usually give it the current date in YYYYMMDD format. You can then load your list of caches individually or load the whole list (if thats what you have)(click "File" then "Load GPX/LOC"). I also include a "cache" called "Home" which contains my "Home" co-ordinates. I then tell GSAK that this is my home co-ordinates and it will then use these co-ords. to calculate distance and bearing to all the other co-ords. in the list.
You can customise the data shown on the display to show any or all attributes contained in the GPX file. A GPX file is better than LOC file because it contains all the info. about a cache where a LOC file contains the minimum info. to find a cache. If you don't need to know what the Difficulty/Terrain rating is, use a LOC file because it makes every cache 1/1. If D/T is important (and what the last 4 logs were), use a GPX file. GSAK can use GPX and LOC files and will even unzip ZIP files if GPX/LOC files come that way.
Once you've got your database loaded, you can then sort them by any heading of the list. You can also filter caches by most attributes. I do a filter on any cache with a terrain rating of 1 and within 50 km of home. I also have OziExplorer installed which means if I double click on a cache, GSAK starts OE (if not already running) then sends the co-ords to it. OE will then attempt to target the site on the appropriate map (if there's only one appropriate map) or present you with a list of maps (if there's more than one). I can also right click on a cache and select "Open waypoint URL", GSAK will open the appropriate URL (GCA or GC) and go to the cache page where you can view it.
I can also export a waypoint list to OziExplore which it will attempt to show on the map. This is good for plotting cache that are close together, such as the cluster of caches at or around Circular Quay.
I can also TX or RX waypoints from/to my (t)rusty Magellan Meridean GPSr via GSAK but usually use OziExplorer for this because I can add/delete waypoints and compile tracks and send them to Fred (my knick for my GPS).
I also use GSAK to export a CacheMate file to my Palm PDA/phone.
Ther's a whole lot of other stuff GSAK does that I don't use, but it has proved to be reliable and more than adequate for MY needs. There are several newsgroups around for GSAK and Clyde (the author) has always been ready to answer any (sensible) queries you may have.
I've also tried "EasiGPS" and "ExpertGPS"(?) and one other (that I can't remember right now) and GSAK worked the best for ME!!
If all else fails, e-mail me! :)

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 25 March 07 4:08 am

Go Here

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=2081

(you may have to register and login first.)

tronador

Post by tronador » 25 March 07 7:16 pm

Thanks to both of you. This really helps. I needed a Gsak for dummies !!!
This is very straight forward.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 26 March 07 1:43 pm

Once you get over the "where do I start?!" barrier, just remember that the help system in GASK is very, very good.

So, if you can't solve some problem, or if you think there might be a better way to achieve some objective, try hitting F1 and seeing what comes up.