GPS unit for geocaching newbie

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
GrahamC

GPS unit for geocaching newbie

Post by GrahamC » 23 March 07 2:11 pm

I'm new to this game and looking for info in Oz on what the best unit for me to buy would be, and where to buy (any overseas sites the best)?

I'm happy paying up to $300, and maybe more if it future-proofs me and lets me use it for in car nav also - but the main purpose is starting out in geocaching.

I am also happy buying second hand.

I don't mind black and white.

I see the most popular one seems to be the 60Cx, but I think it may be overkill for what we'll be doing with it.

Thanks in advance.

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 23 March 07 4:34 pm

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 23 March 07 4:40 pm

If you see a cheap deal on an etrex or a Meridian GPSr on eBay, grab it.

Almost all variants of the above are great for caching, and if you decide to upgrade to colour, auto-routing, etc., you'll probably be able to resell it for about what you paid for it.

Anything that'll get you to within several metres of Ground Zero is good enough for finding caches!

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Cool stuff

Post by If » 24 March 07 8:49 pm

Well if you are going to be really getting serious about geocaching then I would say the Garmin 60CSx is a great choice. Although it will set you back close to a grand by the time you've bought the software to go with it :shock: Mapping GPS is an absolute must for caching in my experience. The reason the base model GPS's without mapping are so popular lies with the bushwalking sector. They want a simple easy to use unit that they can intergrate with their expert mapreading and compass skills to provide a reassurance of situational awareness in remote areas far from paved roads :D Also useful for recording the hike. BUT if you are going to be caching then most caches lie within the maze of highways and byways that dominate suburban and urban Australia :) Trying to hunt geocaches with a GPS that only has an arrow to point the way is just damn frustrating when you are trying to navigate the maze of roads you are driving on :shock:

listmaker
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by listmaker » 24 March 07 9:22 pm

If's right, the Garmin 60csx is great - I bought it a few months ago, and my husband gave me the mapping software for Christmas.

If you're not sure what/whether to buy, I believe you can hire a GPSr from GPSOZ.

rhinogeo
Twitter: rhinogeo

Re: Cool stuff

Post by rhinogeo » 24 March 07 9:44 pm

If wrote:Trying to hunt geocaches with a GPS that only has an arrow to point the way is just damn frustrating when you are trying to navigate the maze of roads you are driving on :shock:
<p>I've managed to find over 800 caches with a non-mapping GPSr without getting frustrated :? </p>

<p>500 or so of them have been in urban areas too :)</p>

<p>If you're not sure how hard the geocaching bug will bite, just buy a lower (less expensive) model and go from there</p>

<p><font size="0.1">P.S. It also doesn't cost much to become proficient in map reading </font></p>

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 24 March 07 9:57 pm

If wrote:Mapping GPS is an absolute must for caching in my experience.
I disagree.

Get a $100 GPS and upgrade later.

Mapping is good but the best caching experiences I have ever had involved getting lost on the way to finding a cache. I have used a mapping GPS on many occasions after using a cheap "follow the arrow and lessen the distance gps" and I feel mapping GPS's rob me of the full experience of Caching. Same with Tom Toms and laptops pointing the way.

Horses for courses of course but I have to say my fav cache stories revolve around following all those road to finally park and push the remaining 300meters through bush to find the cache in a playground next to other carpark.

You will learn more and arguably enjoy caching more if you turn the map off. You can always use the cheap bastards mapping program and buy a UBD. Kinda spoils the fun as well.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 24 March 07 10:13 pm

If wrote:Trying to hunt geocaches with a GPS that only has an arrow to point the way is just damn frustrating when you are trying to navigate the maze of roads you are driving on :shock:
The first time I cached in Brisbane all I had was a yellow Etrex. I had the best time following that arrow around and I didn't make to many wrong turns. I'm not even familiar with the North side or the parts of the South side I went into (I grow up in the Park Ridge area when it was still bushland). I did have a laptop with Ozi and street level maps. The only time I used it was to find the hotel room and that's where it stayed for the week. But I must say now days I do use a mapping GPS and it does make it a lot easier

Dooghan

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 24 March 07 10:22 pm

Gday boxhead!

Where have you been mate? Happy Birthday for the youngin today. Will call you tomorrow.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 25 March 07 7:44 am

Bronze wrote: Happy Birthday for the youngin today.
One year old already...boy that was quick :shock: :P

On Topic, almost any GPSr will do (there are one or two crappy ones from Supercheep etc that you should never ever touch IMO) for geocaching. As there are so many different models on the market these days, i would suggest that you also try one in the field.....maybe at an Event day is a good way of trying out various models.....and see which one feels right to you (ease of use, physical size, screen viewability etc).

mm

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 25 March 07 10:48 pm

Do you want it just for caching or for other things too?

I had use of both a Garmin GPS12 and a Magellan 2000 for many years because their owners never used them. I hardly used them either.

The 2000 is pretty much useless.

The GPS12 was a help backtracking on bushwalks, if it could get a signal through the trees.

Since getting the 60CSx I use it every day. It's more acurate than the car speedometer. It's much more acurate than a pedometer. It navigates me through unfamiliar territory. It's a compass. It's a contour map for bushwalking that shows my trail and the way home.

AND It's great for caching too.

Yes it's expensive, but I'm getting my moneys worth. :D

GrahamC

Post by GrahamC » 30 March 07 4:39 pm

I went with the eTrex Legend off eBay, $280 delivered new. Will let you know how it goes when we do our first GC this weekend ;)

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 30 March 07 4:48 pm

Just make sure the GPS Datum is set to WGS84 BEFORE putting in the waypoints to avoid newbie mistake #1