Looking at a Palm PDA Upgrade

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Looking at a Palm PDA Upgrade

Post by Aushiker » 20 August 06 9:27 pm

Hi

Looking to upgrade my Palm PDA to something a little better for caching. What I am looking for is a colour unit which will have enough memory or take SD cards to allow me to carry all the normal cachemate stuff plus the HTML cache pages/photos.

Suggestions on models (current or second hand) and memory size would be appreciated. Oh also my eysight is not the best so suggestions on models with better screens would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Andrew

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 20 August 06 11:16 pm

Hi, I just went from a TE to the T3. Bigger screen, quicker, both were colour, more memory, bluetooth so I now run TomTom and love that.

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 21 August 06 6:42 am

You might also be interested in the Palm TX - it has a large colour screen (which can be set to portrait or landscape format) plus wifi and bluetooth. However, the big plus from my perspective is that is has 100MB RAM in addition to the usual SD card expansion. That's a lot of room for your future apps and data and, if I recall correctly, the most memory of any current model except the Life Drive (which has a built -in hard disk)

JackHenry
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by JackHenry » 22 August 06 12:02 pm

Does anyone use any of the PDA's with an Apple Mac G5 or similar. I have a friend that's after a PDA and is an Apple nut. (so to speak) If so, what are his options.

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 22 August 06 1:04 pm

The TX is a brilliant Palm, and if I had not got the T3 for nix, I was seriously considering that or the T5.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 22 August 06 9:04 pm

Hi

Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like I will be looking out for a TX or T5 on eBay and elswhere.

I don't surpose anyone knows of a good retailer?

Would it be worth considering a US unit? Assume the power cable will be an issue. Can a normal travel adaptor be used?

Andrew

Freddo

Post by Freddo » 24 August 06 7:10 pm

TX for me. Wireless, bluetooth, infrared. Heaps of ram.

Get ozi, spinner and plucker and you are paperless.

daSilvia

Post by daSilvia » 25 August 06 12:07 am

Deals Direct have the Palm TX for $399 + $14.95 shipping at the moment, and if you're quick you can get $50 cash back from Palm. Cheaper on eBay, but I'd rather buy from an Australian reseller, especially where warranty could be an issue.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 29 August 06 1:28 pm

G'day

Being looking at the prices of the Palms suggested and given that this is really a geocaching toy only, are there suggestions on cheaper models or older models which will do what I want but for a more resonable price?

Want it to take a SD card and hold geocaching photos and related materials.

Thanks
Andrew

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 29 August 06 2:03 pm

If you don't need wireless or bluetooth, then a TE is perfect. But, remember, the TE did not come with any easy software for displaying photos, I ended up buying some extra software, it allowed me to convert my toppos from ozi into it's own format and display them.

Now that I am using Tom Tom, I would not go back.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 29 August 06 2:25 pm

Hi

Thanks Webguy, but given I am about to spend around $1200 - $1300 on a new GPSr I need to protect my credit card somehow :oops:

I assumed that something like GPSpinner (?) or iSilo would do the track grabbing the HTML and photos. Have I got that wrong?

Andrew

Team Red Roo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Roo » 30 August 06 9:38 am

I recently picked up a unused Toshiba e800 from Ebay for $260. With programs like Cachemate and Oziexplorer CE, it works a treat. I also bought a Sirf III compact flash GPS which just plugs in the top of the unit, a 1gb sd card for storing maps etc and a pda holder for the 'roo. The all up cost is still under about $500, for a 'mapping gps' and pocket pc all in one package.
Wayne

Magpie

Post by Magpie » 30 August 06 1:56 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like I will be looking out for a TX or T5 on eBay and elswhere.

I don't surpose anyone knows of a good retailer?

Would it be worth considering a US unit? Assume the power cable will be an issue. Can a normal travel adaptor be used?
We have a T5, when we got it (new) the charger had a US plug, but the plug comes off and it had Aus and UK plugs that you slot into place. Hard to explain :(

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 30 August 06 4:41 pm

Team Red Roo wrote:I recently picked up a unused Toshiba e800 from Ebay for $260. With programs like Cachemate and Oziexplorer CE, it works a treat. I also bought a Sirf III compact flash GPS which just plugs in the top of the unit, a 1gb sd card for storing maps etc and a pda holder for the 'roo. The all up cost is still under about $500, for a 'mapping gps' and pocket pc all in one package.
Wayne
You got a bargain on that little lot! Well done.
Best of all it's PPC

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 30 August 06 4:43 pm

forgot on the above ! But grab yourself the latest Gpxsonar, it's a treat for PPC.