UBD Aust City Streets for PocketPC + Ozi

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
littlejohnny

UBD Aust City Streets for PocketPC + Ozi

Post by littlejohnny » 30 July 06 10:57 pm

I've got the DVD, which helpfully tells me it'll operate with Ozi.
I've downloaded the .map files.
Am running version 3.95.4m, which should work.

I still can't get it to cooperate with ozi (in this instance I'm trying to running it on a laptop).

Can anyone help?? (And can someone also tell me how to type new paragraphs - this seems to delete all the spaces I add)

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 30 July 06 11:47 pm

UBD works fine on PC version with the extra files loaded from the ozi site, but is not compatible with PPC, well, at least until someone works out how to convert them to work of course. :lol:

president & 1st lady
1250 or more geocaches found
1250 or more geocaches found

Post by president & 1st lady » 31 July 06 12:14 am

We had trouble with this too. It turned out to be the version of windows that we were running in the end. Switched to a laptop with XP and all was good.

http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... hlight=ubd This may help.

1st lady

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 31 July 06 1:50 am

(as for the new paragraphs, tick the "Disable HTML in this post" box before you click "Submit") :D

littlejohnny

Post by littlejohnny » 31 July 06 8:40 am

Thanks folks

The laptop is already running windows XP, and I haven't yet got to trying it to get it to go on the PPC.

What is the map image file extension? There are no .ecw or .ozf2 files, and I read in a previous post that the .cmp files aren't image files - they're the only thing which look big enough though (thanks 1st lady, I'd found your thread earlier!)

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 31 July 06 9:46 am

littlejohnny wrote:Thanks folks

The laptop is already running windows XP, and I haven't yet got to trying it to get it to go on the PPC.

What is the map image file extension? There are no .ecw or .ozf2 files, and I read in a previous post that the .cmp files aren't image files - they're the only thing which look big enough though (thanks 1st lady, I'd found your thread earlier!)
Download the OZF2 file converter from GPSOZ then install it into Ozi, you will not see any difference till you go to save the map image!With this you seect the image file source then destination folder play a little more then walk away from the box for something like 6 hrs while it coverts the files to OZF2! We usually leave the box running (with sceen saver off) while we are at work or asleep! That way everthing is done without hassle!
Just as an example it took 6.5hrs to convert Stateview!
If you have to many probs PM me & I will give you my number as it is much easier to explian in spoken word.As we cannot type very fast which makes for slow reading,hehehe!This bit goes at the top!! The ozf2 converter will find the write files for you from the source folder,ie The DVD.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 31 July 06 8:12 pm

AFAIK you cannot conver the UBD DVD to ozf2 format. The UBD DVD only works with the "desktop" Ozi.

littlejohnny

Post by littlejohnny » 02 August 06 5:52 pm

Ebenezer, the DVD is called 'Aust City Streets for Pocket PC', so I'll be cranky if I can't run it in OziCE. It does come with it's own install software, but says it runs on Ozi. With respect, I do hope you're wrong!

I'll follow Mr Router's advice and see how I go.

Cheers,
John

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 02 August 06 6:18 pm

littlejohnny,

Where does it say that the PPC version will work with OziCE :? All it states as far as i have seen on their respective websites is that it will run on Pocket PCs........whereas the DVD version (non-ppc specific) states that it interfaces with Ozi (using v3.95.4j or above). Does it actually say that it will work with OziCE (as opposed to Ozi.....). Just because something works with Ozi doesn't mean it will automagically be able to converted to an OziCE format, due to amongst other things, copyright issues, unrecognised formats etc

Furthermore the Australian section of the Oziexplorer websitestates:

OziExplorer will NOT work with any other version of UBD maps.

Hope that helps :P

mm
Last edited by Map Monkey on 02 August 06 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 02 August 06 8:57 pm

map monkey wrote:littlejohnny,

Where does it say that the PPC version will work with OziCE :? All it states as far as i have seen on their respective websites is that it will run on Pocket PCs........whereas the DVD version (non-ppc specific) states that it interfaces with Ozi (using v3.95.4j or above). Does it actually say that it will work with Ozi (as opposed to OziCE.....). Just because something works with Ozi doesn't mean it will automagically be able to converted to an OziCE format, due to amongst other things, copyright issues, unrecognised formats etc

Furthermore the Australian section of the Oziexplorer websitestates:

OziExplorer will NOT work with any other version of UBD maps.

Hope that helps :P

mm
A bit further down the same web page it also has this:

Note : These maps cannot be converted for use with OziExplorerCE.

littlejohnny

Post by littlejohnny » 04 August 06 5:41 pm

Yeh, who feels like a dickhead now!!

I was looking at the two versions when I bought it. Thought I got the ozi capable version, but flair for the incompetent, I managed to walk out with the wrong one.

Sorry 'bout that folks!

And the really annoying thing is, the pocket pc version does not support gps input. From the limited play I've had, I'm getting less and less excited by my bugger up all the time!

arthurking83

Post by arthurking83 » 04 August 06 11:20 pm

G'day littlejohnny,

If you want streetdirectory maps that work with OziCE on a PPC, come over to http://www.gpsaustralia.net/ and look for Jackaroo4WD's program, called OziMapGrabber.

It'll retrieve streedirectory maps for use on a PPC, and reference them for use with OziCE.

It's all easy stuff to use, but you find you'll possibly want soem advice on how exactly to get the most out of it first???

cheers, 8)