UBD Australian City Streets V3 DVD

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

UBD Australian City Streets V3 DVD

Post by Map Monkey » 14 December 05 12:26 pm

Recent announcements by several suppliers indicate that the Australian City Streets Version 3 (by UBD) is now available on DVD....

From one supplier, the GPSOZ website, areas covered include:

- Adelaide
- Brisbane
- Canberra
- Melbourne
- Newcastle
- Perth
- Sydney
- Wollongong
- Hobart
- Darwin
- regions of Blue Mountains and NSW Central Coast

By the looks of the screenshots for several areas, they seem to be excellent resolution :lol: However the best news seems to be that there are OZI map files available :P

Has anyone purchased these yet and can add some comments on their quality?

Agsmky

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 14 December 05 1:51 pm

I noticed that one of the new "features" listed for Ozi is compatibility with the new UBD product. I would be interested to know if the map images are in a format that Ozi already supported, or if Ozi has added support for the encrypted format that UBD already uses.

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 14 December 05 1:54 pm

Latest version from within the last week now has native support for the maps.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 14 December 05 1:59 pm

Hmm. I wonder if it supports older versions of the UBD maps. I have the 2xCD version. I will give it a spin when I get home.

Stubby Holder
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Stubby Holder » 15 December 05 10:12 am

Apparently you can only use the DVD version with ozi. The older versions won't work. Furthermore the DVD maps can't be converted to use with oziexplorer CE. So you need to be careful when purchasing.

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 29 January 06 9:02 am

I've just purchased Australian City Streets v3 on DVD, and even though it says it interfaces with Ozi, I can't seem to find any *.map files. Anyone know how to get the maps loaded into Ozi?

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 29 January 06 9:04 am

Get the map files off the ozi australian page.

J_&_J

Post by J_&_J » 29 January 06 10:54 am

Thanks, I should have thought of that. Thats where I got the files for Natmap Raster. Cheers.

J_&_J

Post by J_&_J » 16 February 06 7:36 pm

As a last resort, I am hoping someone can shed some light in this forum on a problem I am having with Ozi and UBD. I downloaded the map files from the Ozi site. I upgraded Ozi to the latest version, one upgrade beyond which is required to use the UBD maps (version 3.95.4k). Every time I try to load the UBD maps into Ozi, I get the same protection error 103, preceded by a notification that "OziExp caused an invalid page fault in module UBDMAPDLL.dll at 0177:o5c8ef36". There is a string of other info after this, but it's all double dutch to me. I have contacted Des Newman about this, also Alex, who I bought Ozi and UBD from. Neither has heard of this error occuring before. To make matters worse, I recently successfully reformatted my hard drive, reinstalling everything, but the problem persists. UBD Aussie City Streets works fine by itself, as does Ozi with Natmap Raster. I thought the *.dll file may have been the problem, and have redownloaded the map files from the Ozi site and GPSOZ. No difference. Could my older system and OS be the problem? I have a PIII 450MHz, 128Mb RAM, Win98SE, with around 5GHz free of the 10GHz hard disk. Hopefully a new computer isn't too far away, but until then, I'd really like to use these two products together. Thanks in advance.

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 16 February 06 8:54 pm

Considering that the dll that is reporting the error is the one that appears to handle the UBD maps I would suggest that this dll is not liking WIN98SE if all other parts of Ozi is working on your system.

I would suggest uninstalling Ozi again and making sure that particular dll is not anywhere on your drive and if you know what you are doing making sure that the windows system does not have anything left that knows about the dll. It may be necessary to manually delete the dll from the hard drive.

If a reinstall of Ozi does not fix the problem then you may have to wait for the new system you indicated was not far away. The writers of the dll may not have fully tested it on your older OS so it may be using something that is not available to your OS. There also is the posibility that the dll does not like to be on a P3 and would work happily if you were running on a P4 instead.

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 16 February 06 10:30 pm

So what do those maps cost?

J_&_J

Post by J_&_J » 16 February 06 10:55 pm

$69.95.
Not bad value for the cities covered.

dohertys
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by dohertys » 07 March 06 8:42 pm

We bought this map set and have it happily running from within OZiexplorer. (This is under WinXP J_&_J). I like it a lot as you get a lot more detail in the maps compared to Mapsource. Roads have width, easements to parks and powerlines are shown, walking and bike tracks annotated. All good things when planning a hunt.

From withing Ozi you have to open the map for Brisbane, Sydney etc but it is seamless after that. The full map extent is shown in the birdseye and the panning is essentially instantaneous.

For SE Queenslanders, the Brisbane map extends north to the Sunshine Coast, south to the Gold Coast and west past Ipswich.

From quick inspection the level of detail is similar between the cities. and ss far as I can tell it is equivalent to what you would get in the printed edition but with seamless edges.

In summary, if you own Ozi for your PC and live in one of the big cities, then I would recommend this as money well spent. The path of PQ->Gsak->Ozi has always been easy. Now add street level mapping to that.

president & 1st lady
1250 or more geocaches found
1250 or more geocaches found

Post by president & 1st lady » 01 April 06 4:01 pm

We've got the UBD dvd, we've got the most recent Ozi, we've got the calibration files but we can't get ozi and ubd to cooperate! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I keep getting an error message the image type .CMP is not supported in this version. It's a map file of Brisbane!

Or I select a Sydney map, I get a message saying the file cannot be found. Exactly the same process for both maps, but different errors. And no maps in Ozi :evil: .

Can any of you cleverer Ozi/UBD users shed any light?

1st lady

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 01 April 06 10:55 pm

president & 1st lady wrote:We've got the UBD dvd, we've got the most recent Ozi, we've got the calibration files but we can't get ozi and ubd to cooperate! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I keep getting an error message the image type .CMP is not supported in this version. It's a map file of Brisbane!

Or I select a Sydney map, I get a message saying the file cannot be found. Exactly the same process for both maps, but different errors. And no maps in Ozi :evil: .

Can any of you cleverer Ozi/UBD users shed any light?

1st lady
from the oziexplorer web site:
OziExplorer versions 3.95.4j and later versions can load the maps from the DVD.

which version are you running?

Open Ozi, Click Help -> About