New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Re: New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Post by Echo » 17 May 10 11:37 pm

I'm just way too scared to update it... :oops:

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 17 May 10 11:48 pm

Updated to version 7.7.1.34 this afternoon.
I couldn't maintain an Internet connection afterwards, though all seems OK now after 'doing' a restart.

Windows XP SP3
Firefox/3.6.3

BernieArtista

Post by BernieArtista » 23 June 10 1:08 am

I have a GPX file with all the waypoints for Victoria, but of course there are too many to fit on the Oregon. We are going to be travelling but have no real itinerary and could end up anywhere (that's why I downloaded the whole State!) - can I trim down the list to say certain areas of Victoria in GSAK? Or did I do the wrong thing by downloading the whole State?

I downloaded all the waypoints into OziExplorer, and can reduce the numbers there, but when I export the file it doesn't have the logs or any details as in the original GSAK file.

Any help would be appreciated, I have much to learn about this program.

Thanks,
Bernie

reesylou
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by reesylou » 23 June 10 9:31 am

Bernie,

You can use the Polygon/arc creator under the tools menu to create an area, but you must be connected to the internet for that bit. Click to create your area and copy/paste to save it to a gpx file.

Once you have done that, you may use the gpx you make in the first step as a filter (Search-> Filters, select polygon/arc, load from file,Go)

Hope that helps

BernieArtista

Post by BernieArtista » 23 June 10 10:19 am

Thanks reesylou

I must be missing a step somewhere somehow - after I've copied the area how do I save it to a gpx file? :oops:

Thanks
Bernie

roundcircle
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by roundcircle » 23 June 10 11:04 pm

Why don't you make the cache that's closest to where you'll be for the day the center point in GSAK. Then limit the caches by distance. Adjust the distance until you have an appropriate number of caches, say 1000. Then load that into the GPS.

To save as a GPX, do an Export > GPX.

No connection required. Quick and easy. Of course you'll have to re-do every time you move.

reesylou

Post by reesylou » 24 June 10 9:37 am

BernieArtista wrote:Thanks reesylou

I must be missing a step somewhere somehow - after I've copied the area how do I save it to a gpx file? :oops:

Thanks
Bernie
You need to copy/paste it to a text editor (notepad, wordpad etc) and save it.

As roundcircle said, you can limit by distance, but using a polygon lets you restrict the area better... eg by drawing along major roads, or avoiding certain terrain features (like mountains).

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 24 June 10 11:27 am

BernieArtista wrote:I downloaded all the waypoints into OziExplorer, and can reduce the numbers there, but when I export the file it doesn't have the logs or any details as in the original GSAK file.
Instead of using the polygon filter, you may find it easier to create an area in OZI (by clicking on the map to define waypoints), and then import the ozi waypoint file into the arc/poly tab of the filter dialog.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 13 September 10 12:09 pm

I've just discovered that the new 1000 cache limit on Pocket Queries has a small problem.
You need to download them manually. The automated email facility only works with PQs of up to 500.

I had a system of PQs which copied all updated caches in specified placement date ranges covering all caches in Australia, but I was getting up towards the maximum of 35 PQs a week.

A few days ago I went through and reduced the number of PQs utilising the new 1000 cache limit, but I wasn't aware of the sting in the tail.
Now I need to go back to the old method.

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 13 September 10 12:12 pm

gmj3191 wrote:I've just discovered that the new 1000 cache limit on Pocket Queries has a small problem.
You need to download them manually. The automated email facility only works with PQs of up to 500.

I had a system of PQs which copied all updated caches in specified placement date ranges covering all caches in Australia, but I was getting up towards the maximum of 35 PQs a week.

A few days ago I went through and reduced the number of PQs utilising the new 1000 cache limit, but I wasn't aware of the sting in the tail.
Yep, at this stage you have to stay with the 500 series PQ's, as there isn't a way yet to automate the 1000 series PQ's. Clyde has said on the GSAK forums that he is working with GS to develop a way for this to happen, but it seems that the discussion has an open ended time frame at the moment.

ian-and-penny

Post by ian-and-penny » 13 September 10 12:56 pm

gmj3191 wrote:I've just discovered that the new 1000 cache limit on Pocket Queries has a small problem.

I found <deleted URL> most useful.
Last edited by ian-and-penny on 13 September 10 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 13 September 10 1:02 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:I found this site most useful.
Oooh, neat! =D>

setsujoku
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 13 September 10 1:08 pm

Trigg-A-Nomics wrote:
ian-and-penny wrote:I found this site most useful.
Oooh, neat! =D>
I would be careful using it though, as technically you would be breaking the GS TOU, and you could get a nasty e-mail from GS asking you to cease using it, or have your account banned.

Having said that, it's a handy app :D

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 13 September 10 1:24 pm

setsujoku wrote:I would be careful using it though, as technically you would be breaking the GS TOU, and you could get a nasty e-mail from GS asking you to cease using it, or have your account banned.
Yes, but I think it's better (less nefarious?) than the "Is it archived?" Macro that was doing the rounds a while ago. It just automates what you would do naturally. I don't think GC.com will fall over if I was to use it to automatically download my two 1K PQs once a week.

Disclaimer: Any comments here do not imply an intent, recommendation or encouragement to break Geocaching.com's Terms of Use Agreement. Any errors of fact, tact or law are, in fact, transmission errors.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 September 10 1:28 pm

Okey dokey boys and girls.
No more discussion about tools that breach the TOU at GC.
Thanks.