New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Post by ClydeE » 29 November 03 7:53 pm

GSAK – Geocaching Swiss Army Knife

This is the first public release of GSAK – the successor to geo2ozi for ALL geocachers, not just OziExplorer users. As there have been so many changes, this release is Beta. Many thanks to Maccamob and Leek for help with testing this release, but I am not so naïve to think we have picked up all the bugs. I encourage as many people as possible to download and try this version. However, if you have no concept, or are not comfortable with beta software, I suggest you wait until the final release

The final goal of this software will be to produce a tool that has all the major features of EasyGPS, Watcher, GPX Spinner, and Geo2Ozi. There will also be other unique features that will benefit the broader geocaching community.

All feedback is welcome – particularly bug reports. The primary goal of this release is to fix any bugs so I can release a stable version that everyone will be confident of using.

Once I have a stable version, I can then start work on rolling out more features.

The best way to get a feel for what the program does is to download and give it a try. For those coming from Geo2ozi the major changes are:

1. New columns with icons for for Cache type, travel bugs, user notes, Last 4 logs
2. New concept of Databases. You can create/delete you own databases. This allows you to set up a database for each state, or testing, or whatever. You can still use filters to select your required data – this just gives you another option
3. New option to export to MapSend WPT files (others coming soon)
4. Complete Interface make over. Offline screen is the primary screen, now with Menu options and tool bar.
5. Export/Import User Notes. Good for backing up your user notes, or importing user notes from and external source
6. Added “last logÂâ€

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 29 November 03 8:53 pm

I just tried to download this new utility Clyde and the Promo Blurb looks great...

but I struck a snag... The download says that the file size is 2.57Meg, It then says once the download is complete that the size is actually only 2.4Meg... Then when I try to install it... It comes up with a Archive notice saying that the expected download was 2,697,616 bytes but the actual was only 2,644,859 bytes.....

Swampy..

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 29 November 03 9:03 pm

swampgecko wrote:I just tried to download this new utility Clyde and the Promo Blurb looks great...

but I struck a snag... The download says that the file size is 2.57Meg, It then says once the download is complete that the size is actually only 2.4Meg... Then when I try to install it... It comes up with a Archive notice saying that the expected download was 2,697,616 bytes but the actual was only 2,644,859 bytes.....

Swampy..
I must admit my web space is not the greatest (just the generic space that comes with a standard account) - this problem can happen at busy times.

One day I'll cough up the cash to put it on a decent server - But for now all I can say is try it again.

I do have an emergency tpg account, so I might have a look at loading it up there as an alternative. Not sure if it will be any better, but it can't hurt.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 29 November 03 10:17 pm

I have the program Clyde and have sent it to Swampy over ICQ so he now has it.

It looks good so far. I like the layout and the sorting facilities. I would have liked it to import my geo2ozi database, luckily I had sufficient gpx files around to rebuild most of it.

I did notice that the html generation generates pages for archived caches but does not indicate that they are archived. Could you add suitable text to the page to indicate this please?

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 29 November 03 10:29 pm

The GSAK home page now provides an alternative location for the download

I would be interested to receive any further feedback on this (comments about either download site)

Thanks
Clyde

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 29 November 03 11:02 pm

Clyde,

The html page sort by cache setter is case sensitive. I think it would be better case insensitive until the cache setters all work out which case they want their names in and stick to it.
Also, does double clicking an a gpx file do anything? Nothing seemed to happen other that GSAK opening. Are you going to put the drop onto icon feature back?

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 29 November 03 11:44 pm

riblit wrote: Also, does double clicking an a gpx file do anything? Nothing seemed to happen other that GSAK opening. Are you going to put the drop onto icon feature back?
Assuming you have associated GPX files with GSAK it should start GSAK and bring up the "GPX file load" screen with that file already input. Same should happend when you drop a GPX file on the desktop icon.

This is the behaviour I see here, tested on Windows XP and Windows 2000.

Any one else having this problem?

Note: As Leek pointed out to me, if you run EasyGps it automatically re-associates GPX files WITHOUT asking (very annoying :x ). You then need to take the option from the tools menu to put the association back to GSAK

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 30 November 03 9:10 am

riblit wrote:I have the program Clyde and have sent it to Swampy over ICQ so he now has it.

It looks good so far.
I have been playing all morning with it and It is great! My thanks to Riblit and Clyde....

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 30 November 03 10:25 am

Clyde wrote:
Assuming you have associated GPX files with GSAK it should start GSAK and bring up the "GPX file load" screen with that file already input. Same should happend when you drop a GPX file on the desktop icon.
It does, to an extent. The behaviour changes.
Latest last update date on existing database 28/11/03
Time string from new GPX file: <time>2003-11-29T11:20:40.4955000-08:00</time>

Condition 1. GSAK open and minimised.
Action: Double click in gpx file.
Result: GSAK normalises , file load dialog does not appear.
Action: Drag GPX file and drop on toolbar icon.
Result: as above.
Action: Drag GPX file and drop on desktop icon.
Result: another instance of GSAK runs. GPX file load dialog displayed. 'newer only' radio button checked. Click Ok -> dialog closes, no other action. It would be better if you restored the running app rather than start an new instance.

Condition 2. GSAK open and normalised.
Action: Drag GPX file over GSAK and attempt to drop.
Result: Not allowed.
Action: click GPX file load toolbar button.
Result: GPX file load dialog appears, 'newer only' radio button checked. Click OK ->GPX file merged into database.

Condition 3. GSAK Closed
Action: Double Click GPX file.
Result: GSAK Opens, GPX file load dialog displayed. 'newer only' radio button checked. Click Ok -> dialog closes, no further action.

Condition 4. make test database, leave empty, close GSAK.
Action: Double click on GPX file.
Result: GSAK opens, GPX file load dialog displayed with test database, 'newer only' radio button checked.
Click OK -> Dialog closes, nothing loaded.

Condition 5: as for 4 above
Action: select 'always' radio button -> result as before. caches not loaded.

Condition 6: GSAK open
Action: double click on different GPX file.
Result: nothing happens. Click GPX file load toolbar icon, dialog opens showing path to previously loaded file, not the one just double clicked.

Condition 7: GSAK closed.
Action: Double click on different GPX file.
Result: GPX file load dialog displayed, path to double clicked file shown. Click ok -> dialog closes, no further action. Click on GPX file load toolbar button -> dialog reopens, Click OK, caches added.

I noticed the state name for the added caches was Australian Capital Territory and I have abbreviate State names on import checked.
Australian Capital Territory=ACT was not in the default abbreviation list.
The policachers might get a complex if you leave it out Clyde. :)

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 30 November 03 11:18 am

The are some scenerios when GSAK will not find caches in the database. One of these is when a database is created, loaded with caches, waypoints generated etc.
If a cache description is double clicked to find the cache in Oziexplorer and the cache and the 'Open File Attachment' from the waypoint menu used to view the offline cache details, the second instance of GSAK will complain that the details are not in the database.

This does not occur if GSAK is closed after loading the data, then reopened to find the location in Ozi.

If the 'Search the Offline Database' option is selected, GSAK is restored, a warning message, 'GSAK has detected that the last termination was Abnormal. Database Repair/Defrag will now start. -> Press OK (only option) -> error message 'Unable to get exclusive use of the offline cache database. Another copy of GSAK is probably running - make sure you Close down all other GSAK icons then try this option again. -> click Ok -> hourglass cursor. Exit instance from menu.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 30 November 03 6:00 pm

After no more than a quick play, I must say I'm impressed!

I'll probably start using it instead of GPXspinner to create the html I carry in my Palm, and I look forward to it being able to either export a .GPX or .LOC that I can use with EasyGPS, or to talk to my GPSrs directly.

Seemingly little things impress me, like being able to select by text (here in NZ the caches have the region in the cache title but it's been a hassle to select on that until now) and to be able to remove troublesome characters in cachenames. (There are four in the South Island that I have to remove by hand from my GPSr if I want to upload waypoints into EasyGPS or Tumonz)

It's nice to use software that's being written by someone who obviously wants to use it the same way I do!

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 30 November 03 6:38 pm

Bear_Left Wrote:
I'll probably start using it instead of GPXspinner to create the html I carry in my Palm
I did that a while ago with geo2ozi as it allowed me to have the cache notes on the Palm, something I couldn't make GPXspinner do. The notes are handy for carrying intermediate and final coords for multi caches.
(Useful when an element is placed in a multi you did a year ago).
GSAK is an improvement in my opinion, and once the release version comes out should be an asset to all geocachers.
Clyde is really putting the hours in to this.

I agree, an xml output would be good, if only to give a standard way to move data between different versions or different apps.

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 30 November 03 8:46 pm

riblit wrote:I agree, an xml output would be good, if only to give a standard way to move data between different versions or different apps.
Generation of GPX files will be very high on the list of new features once I get version 1.00 stable

LOC files are a lot easier, so they may come first so you can upload smart name waypoints to your GPS - but GPX file export will definitely follow soon after :wink:

Of course I eventually plan to add direct upload to your GPS from GSAK

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 01 December 03 7:46 pm

swampgecko wrote:I just tried to download this new utility Clyde and the Promo Blurb looks great...

Swampy..
Thank goodness! - I thought I was the only one having this problem!
My download usually bombs out around 700KB though.
Only happens when I use my Froggy account at home.

EocDave :)

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 01 December 03 8:02 pm

EcoTeam wrote:[Thank goodness! - I thought I was the only one having this problem!
EocDave :)
Ideology have kindly offered me web space. :D

Just need to get FTP access to my area

When I transfer over, hopefully this will no longer be an issue