Any interest in reviving CacheMonkey?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
CacheMonkey

Any interest in reviving CacheMonkey?

Post by CacheMonkey » 26 November 03 9:16 am

I have been seriously busy of late with a new baby and massive work commitments so CM has taken a serious back seat, so has geocaching for that matter :)<p>

Over the christmas break there will probably be some time and things are starting to wind down at work now too.<p>

Seeing as I hardly ever geocache anymore im not too keen to spend hours working on CM but i realise that lots of people were using it. I should be able to get it working again back to where it was, and again if anyone is interested in playing with the source code, just reply and ill try and support them to get up and running with it.<p>

If a few people express interest ill try and get it going again.
<p>

GeoMonkey Brad.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 26 November 03 6:37 pm

Hi Brad,
I for one have switched to Geo2ozi, as it does almost everything CacheMoney did and more. Although I never did try some of the more advanced features.

EcoDave :)

Quasar
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Twitter: quasar217

Cachemonkey

Post by Quasar » 28 November 03 10:49 pm

I for one would love to see CacheMonkey up and running again. It was really a great program. I haven't found anything else that lets you download all caches in a state, and marks the ones you've planted and found.

I've really been a bit lost since it stopped working! Lately I've gone back to putting in everything manually on the GPS. I tried Geo2Ozi, but you need a GPX file to import, and you have to tick every cache manually on GC.com to get one of them, and then only one page at a time, a real pain.

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Re: Cachemonkey

Post by embi » 28 November 03 11:28 pm

Quasar wrote: I tried Geo2Ozi, but you need a GPX file to import, and you have to tick every cache manually on GC.com to get one of them, and then only one page at a time, a real pain.
or become a member and have them sent to you.....next time you are on icq I'll have a chat to you...there may be another way

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Re: Cachemonkey

Post by ClydeE » 29 November 03 8:51 pm

Quasar wrote:I, and you have to tick every cache manually on GC.com to get one of them, and then only one page at a time, a real pain.
Not my favourite format, but geo2ozi (now GSAK) will accept the FREE GPX files from the site http://www.roblisa.com/geocache/

That way you don't suffer the long process of getting your cache information the way you describe

GeoQuacks
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by GeoQuacks » 30 November 03 2:26 am

I'd be interested in knowing what embi's "other way" might be...

Peter

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 17 December 03 12:23 pm

I guess I see the benefit in cache monkey in that it doesn't require MS Windows to run.

I know I offered to make some changes (better support for when you are behind a proxy that requires auth) some time ago when I got some free time, but I guess baby + work means I can appreciate that free time is not always that easy to come by!

For me, being able to download waypoints in Ozi format from http://www.roblisa.com/geocache/ feeds my geo-technology needs when I don't have a Windows box handy that I can install softare on.

Team Frogger
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Frogger » 03 January 04 1:05 pm

I too would like to have cachemonkey back. I find that the results from roblisa are not that accurate unless you get all the caches of a state, ie, getting the listing of "unfound" includes many (all?) we have found and the ones we have placed.

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 03 January 04 2:22 pm

Team Frogger wrote: ... unless you get all the caches of a state, ie, getting the listing of "unfound" includes many (all?) we have found and the ones we have placed.
First, I'll admit I am a big GSAK fan, and I haven't really used the roblisa files much. I used Autocache and CacheMonkey for quite a while until the frequent changes on the secondary site killed them.<p>
Have you tried the roblisa files in GSAK? Even if there are a few errors, GSAK lets you manually edit the found/not found ones. Then you should be able to use its filters to select your unfounds, or your founds, or your placed caches and save the filters for reuse once you have them working as you want. You can apply the user flags to help identify other anomolies for filtering purposes too.<p>
You can also load up loc files from the gc.com site if you want to put brand new caches in the database, or those archived ones you might want to add in for nostalgic/historic/completeness reasons. I can't think of any functions that CacheMonkey could do that can't be replicated in GSAK.