Help Please

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Help Please

Post by swampgecko » 22 November 03 11:17 pm

HELP!!!!! I need someone who speaks computerGEEK, (I can fix $40million aircraft but computers leave me fumbling).. I have been getting the following of late<P> This web server runs HTTP1.1 virtual hosts and cannot be accessed via IPAddress.
Please verify the URL you entered and try again.
<P> I seem to be getting this message mainly when looking at the secondary site or the forums.... and it is driving me insane(r). It occurs when I either try to open a page from either favourites or by using the back arrow on my browser. I at the moment use AAPT for dialup but am now seriously thinking about broadband. Any suggestions please?

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 23 November 03 12:18 am

What do you have in favourites - The URL ie. www.geocaching.com or the IP address ie 63.251.163.168 ?

What it is saying is that there are a number of web sites on the server that share the same IP address. The web server reads the site name (URL), in this case www.geocaching.com to work out which virtual server you are accessing.

There could be a proxy server that is passing the IP address and not the URL. Do you have a proxy server set up in the browser Internet Options?
What version browser are you using?, what happens if you type the URL into the address edit box?

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 23 November 03 7:47 am

I use the URL that I have stored in my favourites list 99% of the time. I use IE5, as for proxy settings I use the default ones in the internet options which is HTTP1.1.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 23 November 03 12:39 pm

I replied to this, however my reply has disappeared.

I'll meet you on icq someting and walk you though some tests...

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 23 November 03 5:50 pm

My thanks to Riblit, thou it seems to have sorted itself out. I know what to look for in future. I checked the options out and made sure all was ok there. Nothing seemed to be amiss there.