Caution Magellan Explorist User's

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Caution Magellan Explorist User's

Post by GIN51E » 20 January 06 10:14 pm

Usually i charge my GPS by having it connected to the USB on the computer, meaning i have two usb coords going to the computer from the magellan, the data coord and the power coord. tonight i thought i would change it around so the unit would charge quicker and i left the data usb coord connected to the computer and removed the power usb coord and p[lugged the wall socket coord into the GPS this was all ok but once i connected the GPS up to it the computer turned off instantly, thought this was strange, had to remove the computer from mains power and then restarted and went to connect the gps up again and computer shut down instantly. it must be getting a current back feed from the mains power through the gps and into the computer which lucky for me must trigger a safety switch in the computer and everything is ok but i woudl suggest you don't connect your GPS to mains power and the computer at the same time :!:

zactyl

Re: Caution Magellan Explorist User's

Post by zactyl » 25 January 06 5:02 am

GIN51E wrote:...i have two usb coords ... the data coord and the power coord. ... the data usb coord ... the power usb coord ... the wall socket coord...
You know you're a geocacher when... ;)

Sounds like a serious issue though :shock:

vitesse
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by vitesse » 25 January 06 11:48 am

a bit of a wild guess.
it is possible that the output from your wall charger is higher than 5 Volts.
say 5.5v.
this is getting paralled with the 5Volts comming from the USB connector on the computer. the computer power supply then sees an over voltage condition and shuts down.
sound feasible?

vitesse
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by vitesse » 25 January 06 11:50 am

p.s. why don't my paragraphs ever look like they do in the preview??

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 25 January 06 12:14 pm

vitesse wrote:p.s. why don't my paragraphs ever look like they do in the preview??
Tick the Disable HTML in this post box (below) and all your paragraphing will be as you expect.

vitesse
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by vitesse » 25 January 06 2:55 pm

i thank you sir!

it takes HTML to put text where you least

expect