Free Geoscience Australia Series 2 Topo maps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Kerry

Post by Kerry » 13 November 03 8:43 am

GeoData series 2 Topo might be a free download but is a totally different deal to the what most are comparing them to, that is Natmap Raster 2003 in ECW format or Raster Mosaic 2003 ( 2 different products).

Wasn't aware that Oziexplorer could import the formats provided, Arcinfo (.E00), Shapefiles or Mapinfo.

Cheers, Kerry.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 13 November 03 8:52 pm

The shapefiles folder is the best to grab. I imported it into MapEdit, but I have heard from many that OziMapper will handle it. Noticed that some of the roads in the ACT map are out a bit, but given its free I'm not complaining.

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 01 June 04 9:16 pm

I grabbed the Natmap 2 disc set today, the raster mapsheets set.

The one thing that has struck me straight away is, the tops and far right of every map is cut off, so, with every map on a slant or skew, and only 1 corner with double lat/long, it is rather hard to calibrate these maps in oziexplorer.

Though, oziexplorer does read the ecw maps easily.

Has anyone else got this natmap set, if so, are your maps cut off? Were you able to accuratly calibrate them if they were?

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 01 June 04 9:47 pm

Webguy wrote:I grabbed the Natmap 2 disc set today, the raster mapsheets set.

The one thing that has struck me straight away is, the tops and far right of every map is cut off, so, with every map on a slant or skew, and only 1 corner with double lat/long, it is rather hard to calibrate these maps in oziexplorer.

Has anyone else got this natmap set, if so, are your maps cut off? Were you able to accuratly calibrate them if they were?
The 1:250,000 natmap series? Mine are full maps, including the border info. I have calibration files for them.

alex
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 02 June 04 12:41 pm

The 'Mapsheets' CD (not the 'Mosaic') is based on the paper maps which do not have a border on the top and right side, they actually have a bit of overlap into the next map sheet. This is to allow easy aligning and joining of adjacent maps.
Cheers

binns1012
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by binns1012 » 02 June 04 1:32 pm

Webguy wrote:I grabbed the Natmap 2 disc set today, the raster mapsheets set.

Hi you can get the map files for those at the Ozie website or at gpsoz website hope this helps
regards Tony

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 02 June 04 1:48 pm

Yup, got the map files, thanks. Enjoying the toppos, great for a general look around and then use the 1:25,000 to really pin point a spot.