Geo2OZI convertor with great features

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 09 October 03 12:17 pm

Hmmm,

This one does get interesting.

If you are using Internet Explorer, try looking at my original post toggling between "Unicode ( UTF-8 )" and "Western European ISO" :shock:. For Internet Explorer users select View/Encoding.

I somehow get the feeling the source GPX file from Geocaching.com needs to be converted first so it shows correctly using "Western European ISO".

When you look at the raw HTML data from Geocaching.com it would appear this conversion has already been done. So yes, I agree the issue is with the GPX file

I will keep searching the Internet to see If I can find out any more on this.

Keep the ideas coming if you have any more input on this

Thanks
Clyde

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 09 October 03 8:50 pm

I have a bizzare problem...
When trying to download the program from the site, it tells me there is 2.04MB to download but it always stops short at some random size saying download is complete! Sometimes 300KB, one time 1.77MB, 500KB etc...
I downloaded it at work no problems the other day, but cannot do it at home. I have no other problems downloading files from any other sites, so this is wierdo...

Can some kind soul with a broadband connection please email me the file so I can play with it tonight! (david AT alternatezone DOT com)

Thanks
EcoDave :)

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 09 October 03 9:10 pm

Done! :)

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 09 October 03 9:16 pm

Thanks!!
*clicking check mail*
*clicking check mail*
*clicking check mail*
*clicking check mail*
*clicking check mail*
*clicking check mail*
*clicking check mail*
*clicking check mail*
*clicking check mail*
*clicking check mail*

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Geo2ozi V 2.04

Post by ClydeE » 10 October 03 12:34 am

Hi All,

Changes this version:

1. GPX Unicode conversion
2. Better error checking when the offline data base is empty.
3. Fixed a sorting bug which sometimes occurred after selecting to view a cache offline.

I always did wonder what those spurious looking characters were in some of the offline descriptions and logs. This becomes even more of a problem when dealing with European character sets (Swedish and Finish in particular) GPX Unicode conversion fixes this problem. (See previous posts for more discussion on this.)

Download here http://members.iinet.net.au/~cwe/geo2ozi.htm

Cheers
Clyde

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Nag Screen

Post by ClydeE » 10 October 03 9:58 am

Sorry Guys,

I didn't read the fine print.

The component I used for the Unicode conversion came with a nag screen ( I don't get this in the programming environment)

Fortunately there are other open source (read free) Unicode conversion utilities that don't come with these restrictions. I will track one of these down and use that instead. For the moment, just click on OK to the nag screen and the program will work.

This will be fixed in the next version (hopefully tonight)

Cheers
Clyde

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Geo2ozi Version 2.05

Post by ClydeE » 10 October 03 3:25 pm

Hi All,

A quick update - mainly to get rid of the nag screen:

1. Now using a different tool for Unicode conversion - nag screen gone.
2. Fixed a problem where conversion failed if your GPX file was "Read Only"
3. Sample GPX file now included with install

The sample GPX file only has about 30 caches in it (and they are all Western Australia). I have mainly provided this file for those that are using the RobLisa format and would like to see what extra information is in a GPX file from Geocaching.com. The file name is sample.gpx and can be found in the installation folder of Geo2ozi

Download here http://members.iinet.net.au/~cwe/geo2ozi.htm

Cheers
Clyde

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Geo2ozi Version 2.06

Post by ClydeE » 19 October 03 11:06 am

Hi all,

Changes this update:

Tips on start up
Waypoint Generation from Offline View.
PDA support (HTML generation like “GPX SpinnerÂâ€

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Updated geo2ozi

Post by riblit » 19 October 03 1:02 pm

It looks pretty good Clyde. I like its treatment of background images better than GPXSpinner - I use my local web server to access the cache pages and run iSilo from the toolbar - leaving the image outside the table makes your pages easier to read . Can you add indexes? I would like to see an index by 'placed by' - good for those times when you can't remember the cache name, just who placed it. I also use the indexes by bearing and distance from time to time.

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Re: Updated geo2ozi

Post by ClydeE » 19 October 03 4:18 pm

riblit wrote: Can you add indexes? I would like to see an index by 'placed by' - good for those times when you can't remember the cache name, just who placed it. I also use the indexes by bearing and distance from time to time.
Yes, Indexes are quite easy to add. I just wasn't sure how much to include for the first release. There is already a master index (index.htm) that you can open to see the other available indexes (I neglected to make this clear in the html generation screen)

Any feedback on indexes required or how they should appear is most welcome.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 19 October 03 9:27 pm

What an awesome update Clyde!
The GPSspinner like functionality looks great. I can now use one app to do it all.
There is just one addition that would be awesome, and that is UTM coords calculated and displayed on the HTML cache pages like on gc.com. The biggest problem with my eTrex is that I have to convert UTM coords to plot in the street directory all the time. Having this displayed in the HTML pages would save so much time and effort.

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 19 October 03 10:17 pm

I have now downloaded the HTML files onto my Palm using iSilo, and found the following differences compared with GPXspinner:

- Page displaying seems slower than the GPXspinner pages. Not by much, but noticable. I don't know why this is when the content is essentially the same?
- Some cache pages (MacGyver and M5 Madness for instance) display wider than the screen, so you have to use the left/right scroll bars to view the page, that's pretty annoying. GPXspinner didn't have this problem that I have found so far. While some others (such as Milestones) display correctly formatted to the screen. Something in the original gc.com HTML pages tricking something up perhaps?

Overall though, I like it better than GPXspinner, I am most impressed! Thanks Clyde!

Regards

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 19 October 03 11:33 pm

EcoTeam wrote:I have now downloaded the HTML files onto my Palm using iSilo, and found the following differences compared with GPXspinner:

- Page displaying seems slower than the GPXspinner pages. Not by much, but noticable. I don't know why this is when the content is essentially the same?
- Some cache pages (MacGyver and M5 Madness for instance) display wider than the screen, so you have to use the left/right scroll bars to view the page, that's pretty annoying.
Unfortunately I do not have a palm device so I will need to rely on other users for help here. I don't know why the page display would be slower - I have used very basic html code to produce the page. The only thing I can think of is that the main cache details show in a table. If you are familiar with editing html pages you could try removing the <table> </table> tags and see if that makes a difference (although this may mess up the handling of background images - refer Riblits post)

As for the scrolling problem - again I am not familiar with this. On my pocket PC, Pocket explorer has an option "Fit to screen". I use this and everything looks ok - no need to scroll. Perhaps Isolo has a similar option?

I do not have GPX files that contain the caches you mention. If you could email me the geo2ozi generated html files for the above two caches it would be appreciated. I can then analyse and see if there is some obvious reason that would cause this "scrolling" problem

Thanks
Clyde

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 19 October 03 11:55 pm

I have emailed ClydeE a set of pages made with GPXSpinner and from geo2ozi for comparison.

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 20 October 03 2:31 am

riblit wrote:I have emailed ClydeE a set of pages made with GPXSpinner and from geo2ozi for comparison.
Thanks Riblit. Being able to see the files is very helpful.

I downloaded both sets of files to my pocket PC. Although "M5 madness" did not display the "scrolling" problem. I found that on my pocket PC MacGyver did!

The weird part was that I get this scrolling problem with the geo2ozi generated file AND the GPX spinner file. Would some one else care to download to a pocket PC the GPX spinner version of MacGyver to confirm this behavior.

Looking at the logs in MacGyver I notice that the log on September 28 by EcoTeam has URL links that are quite long and do not contain any spaces. Aslo it is only this information that seems to scroll off the screen. I suspect it is this continuous line of characters that is causing the problem. Do other caches that you are having a problem with have long continuous strings without any spaces? That still leaves the question as why Isolo converts one file correctly but not the other (again it could be the table thing). However it is still a problem on the pocket PC no matter which program (gpx spinner or geo2ozi) generates.

If someone with a bit of HTML knowledge could edit the the geo2ozi html version of MacGyver and remove the <table> </table> tags then download to your palm using Isolo - it might answer this question.

Thanks - now time for me to go to bed :wink: