Upgrading (Hacking) my Garmin

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
hardunits
200 or more found
200 or more found

Upgrading (Hacking) my Garmin

Post by hardunits » 11 August 03 2:42 pm

Anyone know what processor is running in Garmin GPSr? Specifically the eMap. I have been thinking about doing some hacking to see if I can put a faster processor in it. I am just trying to gather some info before I go Prying it open and potentially destroying things.

Surprisingly, I have not been able to find a lot of info about hacking them. The only info I have found is memory card upgrades.

If anyone has any info or links it would be appreciated or even any cool hacks you have come up with or know about.

The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by The Ginger Loon » 11 August 03 4:47 pm

An early model gamin ( GPS 45 ) had a software encoded speed lock written into it. It essentially shut the unit down if the speed limit was exceeded. This was done to prevent owners & pilots of light aircraft from buying a (relatively) cheap terrestial GPS unit and using it in their cockpit instead of buying an (expensive) aviation GPS.
<P>
Anyway there was a team of hackerswho thought it would be a nice challenge to crack the speed limiter. While their exploits probably have little relevence to the modern garmins you might find it an interesting read none the less.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 31 August 03 7:46 pm

I think I read somewhere that Garmin used ARM based processors, which would make sense given that it's the predominate processor architecture used in battery powered devices these days.
In any case there is probably little you could do to speed things up other than changing the main crystal frequency (which most likely won't work anyway). Custom embedded processor solutions like this usually can't be tampered with unless there is already the speed upgrade ability designed into it.
Also, the ARM processor is more than likely not an actual CPU chip, but a soft core built into a custom ASIC chip.
Garmin have announced that newer GPS based devices for Palm etc will utilise the Motorola DragonBall processor.

EcoDave :)

hardunits
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by hardunits » 31 August 03 9:58 pm

Thanks for that. Exactly the kind of info I'm after. I am about to open up the eMap and start tinkering. Any other info from anyone would be greatly apreciated. Particularly diagrams etc.

alex
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 31 August 03 10:10 pm

While I'm sure your skills are up to the job I'm ready with a good price for your replacement GPSr :P

hardunits
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by hardunits » 31 August 03 11:48 pm

alex wrote:While I'm sure your skills are up to the job I'm ready with a good price for your replacement GPSr :P
A replacement is a real possibility. What price can you do for me on the iQue3600? ;)

swanny

Post by swanny » 03 September 03 7:12 pm

hardunits wrote:...I am about to open up the eMap and start tinkering....
Looks like you're leading the way. Please post your experiences and photos...