Palm Software

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Palm Software

Post by EcoTeam » 31 July 03 8:40 pm

I just got myself a Palm IIIXE cheap on eBay, and am looking for caching and other cool software to fill it!
My Psion 5 has a fantastic screen and keyboard, but it's too big and fragile to throw in the caching pack so I got the Palm.
I have already installed MobiPocket reader for holding all the caches.
Have also installed a great scientific calc program called Calcul-8

What other useful programs do others have installed?

I figure that I would need a UTM conversion program, image viewer, mapping software. Anything else useful for geocaching?, or just plain cool techo stuff?

Thanks
EcoDave :)

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 31 July 03 9:24 pm

If you do a search on 'GPS' on somewhere like http://www.palmgear.com/
you will turn up quite a few palm apps that might be of interest.<p>

Cachemate, for example, lets you "store information about caches or benchmarks, decode hints, and transfer data between CacheMate and the MemoPad application. Registered users can import LOC and GPX files available from Geocaching.com"<p>

Another one that shows up is GPSCalc, " a calculator to convert between geodetic longitude and latitude to UTM eastings and northings and to calculate distance and headings between waypoints with great accuracy"<p>

Just two examples, there are quite a lot of others as well.

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Palm software

Post by Slider & Smurf » 31 July 03 10:10 pm

While you're at PalmGear, also have a look at HintDecoder - it decodes cache hints for you. Very useful if you have electronic copies of the cache pages with you - cut and paste for hints!! Even better, it's free :D

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 31 July 03 10:34 pm

I have both iSilo and mobipocket installed on mine. I find the iSilo cache pages a lot better than mobipocket. I'll bring it on Sunday, you can have a look yourself.

bmac
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by bmac » 02 August 03 5:14 pm

Not directly related to caching, but one for after the sun goes down, and the stars come out is a program called Planetarium. As the name suggests, it is a star chart, that allows you to check out the stars, planets and other celestial bodies, as well as check the phase, rise/set times of the moon and much more.

I guess it could be used to find your way home, if your GPS died.

On a similar note, I also use AvantGo to sync the Heavens Above site for Iridium flares and Satellite sightings.

For caching, I use geoclipping and HintDecoder.

bmac.