Wireless access to geocaching info

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc

What type of mobile device do you have or expect to have in the near future?

SMS capable only
25%
SMS and WAP
33%
SMS, WAP and Java enabled
17%
Full internet - eg recent PDA
17%
Other
No votes
Not interested / don't know what you're on about
8%

Total votes: 24

Mind Socket

Wireless access to geocaching info

Post by Mind Socket » 08 April 03 12:13 am

Just wanted to move the wireless discussion to a separate thread (from the gc.com.au ideas), since it's taken on a mind of its own. :)

To kick things off, I've added a poll to gauge interest and the potential scope of this idea.

Mind Socket

PDAs

Post by Mind Socket » 08 April 03 11:43 am

The PDA world is getting very complicated right now with lots of new technologies screaming ahead and trying to become the standard.

In a nutshell, brands to keep an eye on: Palm, Sony, Nokia, others?

Features, "does it have" and "do you want": Bluetooth, Internet access, 3G, built-in phone, memory size, ergonomics vs physical size, resolution/colours, geocaching friendly features/interface, other built-ins like mp3, camera, gps etc. etc...

Other issues: Cost (up front + mobile + internet and related), durability ...

Based on what I've seen in the last week, I think I'll get a new phone in a couple of months, and it will probably have the small amount of PDA-like functionality that I expect to need regularly.

On the Java front, I was looking at very basic info for the latest NSW caches on a mobile phone last night and emailing links to selected caches to myself.

This is gonna be fun ... :)

Two Goth Geeks
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: TwoGothGeeks

Post by Two Goth Geeks » 08 April 03 12:02 pm

I've got the Tungsten|T from Palm and will be waiting until my current phone contract runs out near the end of the year to get a Bluetooth phone to use with it.
There's webbrowsers, etc you can download to use on them.

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 08 April 03 12:27 pm

I have a Palm Vx and a Nokia 6210 that I just connect via the infrared port.

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Access

Post by Slider & Smurf » 08 April 03 8:58 pm

I've got a 6310i and a Sony Clié, but haven't been able to figure out how to get them to talk via IR yet. Then again, I haven't really had a need to - I carry compressed versions of all my 'not found' cache pages linked from a html index on my Clié. Saves carrying around a sheaf of paper!

Now, if I could get this functionality out of CacheMonkey somehow, I would have the perfect preparation program!! *hint, hint* :P

Two Goth Geeks
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: TwoGothGeeks

Post by Two Goth Geeks » 08 April 03 10:56 pm

Geoclipping is teh winz :)

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 29 April 03 6:09 pm

I have just upgraded my Palm M500 to a Tungsten T. If I can find a Nokia 6310i at a good price I will upgrade the 6210. At the moment I use geoclipping clip the cache pages I want to carry around and load them as notes to the palm.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 29 April 03 6:18 pm

Hiya Pesky,

Looks interesting, can you tell us more about it? Using an emulator, I could see a couple of caches with basic info, is there more in there or planned?

Cheers,
- Rog

The Rats
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 30 April 03 9:10 am

I'm only an SMS user, but what do people think of sharing mobile phone numbers. For those days when the cache gods just wont play the game.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 30 April 03 9:49 am

Pesky - No worries, your project and mine don't overlap ... yet. I plan on getting the Java stuff going first, then implementing WAP using some of the same code base. I don't know how much time I'll allow for any of it, so go crazy and we can bounce ideas off each other.

Rats - Sharing phone #s is a good idea. I've built up a little collection already. Mine can be found in WP2 of my Jumble cache :twisted: ... or you can just PM me :).