BlueTooth GPS for Ipac

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Skippy&lambchops
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

BlueTooth GPS for Ipac

Post by Skippy&lambchops » 03 July 05 12:28 pm

Does anyone out there use a Bluetooth GPS for there Ipac, or would the CF type be better to use. Some have had problems configuring the BT to the Pocket Pc , yet the CF type is simple but is it in the way.
I also would like to use the Bluetooth on my Laptop at the same time if it will let me. :)

alpha993
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by alpha993 » 03 July 05 5:39 pm

i have been using a haicom CF GPS with my ipaq for over 12 months now. The beauty of the haicom unit is that it has a bluetooth "slipper", which I use (and charge) in the car for route-navigation software. http://www.haicom.com.tw/

<p> When geocaching, I tend to opt for the CF set-up, as I only have to concentrate on not dropping one electronic item ;-) (for difficult caches/terrain I put my ipaq in a waterproof and drop resistant case). http://www.otterbox.com/

<P>

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 03 July 05 7:39 pm

I use a NAVMAN bluetooth GPS with my IPAQ 2210.

You will have to decide if the convenience of having a 2nd device to carry, (although using the arm band supplied is quite effective), is worth the extra battery life of the IPAQ. I can't say with any other models as I haven't come accross anyone with a different model yet, but the 2210 with the normal battery lasts about 3 hours with the bluetooth on all the time, in fact I have just come home from a 3 hour walk in the bush and they were still talking when I arrived back at the car.

The NAVMAN GPS lasts about 25 to 30 hours on upmarket batteries and slightly less on the cheaper ones. With the extended life battery for the 2210 IPAQ it will last up to about 10 hours with the bluetooth going all the time. Some people here in Perth use this combination for extended field mapping and asset tracking and they picked this for the fact that the combination of extended battery and bluetooth last the whole shift whereas the CF type of GPS with the extended battery was only lasting a max of 1.5 to 2 hours. (It was knowing about these people that caused me to pick the combination I have.)

I also bought a car lighter splitter so that both the IPAQ and the GPS get power whilst in the car.

I know that a single device can have the GPS signals sent to different ports so that 2 different programs on the device can receive them (buy buying some software) but I never tried the combination of IPAQ and a PC both talking to the GPS. I know that they both see it as I was with someone with a latptop that pointed it out the the laptop could see the GPS whilst I was using it but we never tried to have the laptop connect.

alpha993
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by alpha993 » 03 July 05 10:40 pm

forgot to add, lots of reviews at http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/menu_gpshardware.php

good luck with your decision