GPS MAP 60 or 76?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

GPS MAP 60 or 76?

Post by xf king » 21 June 05 5:21 pm

I have been recently planning on upgrading my old Yellow Etrex for a more updated GPS with more functions.

I have looked at two GPS's both of them within the $500 to $600 bracket.

I have looked at the GPS Map 60 and a GPS Map 76 series.

Both have nearly the same functions except the GPS map 60 has more memory for mapping software.

I have also heard of some problems with the GPS 60 series having poor reception out in the bush. Has anyone had this problem?

Which one would be a better buy and easier to use??

(I would buy another Etrex but non support an external antenna which I need desperately when im out in the bush)..

And would anyone know of a good place in the melbourne suburbs to get one of these at a fairly good price...

Matty B

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 21 June 05 6:00 pm

What if you used one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... eName=WDVW

Re-Radiating GPS Antenna

No idea if they are any good though.

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 21 June 05 6:08 pm

Cached wrote: Re-Radiating GPS Antenna
No idea if they are any good though.
Im a bit sceptical on one of those, but it would be great to see one in action bfore I made up my mind. Does anybody out there have a re radiating antenna and if so how well does it work?? They are also fairly expensive, but worth it if I went out and bought a Etrex Vista which has more functions than a GPS map 60 or 76.

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Re: GPS MAP 60 or 76?

Post by Rabbitto » 21 June 05 6:14 pm

xf king wrote:I have looked at the GPS Map 60 and a GPS Map 76 series.

<p>Which one would be a better buy and easier to use??
<p>The Map 76 has a wider screen and flatter, meaning that it is much easier to tread on cleanly when you drop it. The 60 series being rounder probably means you could twist an ankle if your foot is not completely placed squarely on top of it. :D :D :D :D :D

shonkylogic
1600 or more caches found

Post by shonkylogic » 25 June 05 10:33 am

Quite happy with my 60 series, even though it's shaped like a potato! The smaller size means that it clips easily to my belt and doesn't get in the way when bushwalking.

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 25 June 05 10:59 am

Thanks to all that have replied, including those that have sent me private messages. I have just bought a GPS Map 60 off ebay for $480 :wink: .. A good buy. Used it last night on a cache and it works wonders, good accuracy and a charm to use compared to my old etrex. :D

As for the signal strength, it so far seems better than the old etrex, I put them side to side in my house, the GPS Map 60 picked up full sattellites with a 70 metre accuracy in about 8 minutes while the etrex sat there and looked dumb :oops: and picked up nothing.

Now to look for a Car mount system, anybody out there know of a good one that I dont have to stick holes in my dash and one that wont fall off my window??.. PS. im sure I saw this in another thread but I cant find it :( :?

shonkylogic

Post by shonkylogic » 25 June 05 12:12 pm

We bought the genuine garmin 60 series dash mount which comes with two sticky pads, one 'permanent', the other 'removable'. Not wanting to damage the dash, we initially used the 'removable' pad. But in Darwin it turned into a sticky blob in the heat.

So now we're using the permanent pad, which has lasted for a year so far. The mount is expensive, but it works well. I've seen others using old mobile mounts which would be a lot cheaper and might be worth a shot.

shonkylogic

Post by shonkylogic » 26 June 05 12:12 pm

there was a discussion about this in the general chit-chat just recently.
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=3279

Postman Pat
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Postman Pat » 06 July 05 6:34 pm

:idea: I Drive a nissan patrol and what i did was cut some ply 12 mm thick wide enough to be a tight fit in between the grab bar and the instrument cover with some antislip stapled (not Glued as melts in the sun found out the hard way :cry: ) I also mounted a double adapter to it so I can charge phone as well as use car power for the gps the board also comes out when I am out fishing & sailing and sits on the seating in the boat