Converting GPX or LOC file to OziExplorer

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Converting GPX or LOC file to OziExplorer

Post by EcoTeam » 28 June 03 11:58 am

Does anyone know a way to convert EasyGPS GPX or LOC files to OziExplorer format?
I used to use a conversion utility on Kevin Reads page a long time ago, but it now seems to have dissapeared.
With CacheMonkey currently down, I want to be able to convert my premium membership pocket queries into GeoMap and OziExplorer

Thanks
EcoDave :)

hardunits
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by hardunits » 28 June 03 4:06 pm

GPSBabel is what you are looking for:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpsbabel

edit: Link error

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 28 June 03 7:40 pm

Thanks.
Had forgot about that GPSbabel

Now, how does one change all the cache short names from the silly GC1234 to something useful like CacheMonkey does?

Looks like I'm going to have to write my own be-all-end-all utility that:
1) Imports a GPX or LOC file
2) Changes the cache names to something useful
3) Exports to GeoMap and OziExplorer and puts the files in the correct directories
4) Downloads to the eTrex

CacheMonkey did a great job until it stopped working :(
Now if CacheMonkey could simply import GPX or LOC files... :wink:

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 28 June 03 9:15 pm

this program here does a good job of coverting to Ozi from easygps.
I use it often
Andrew
the url thing will not work again ;(
so try here http://www.geobuddy.com/

hardunits
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by hardunits » 29 June 03 9:39 am

EcoTeam wrote:Thanks.
Had forgot about that GPSbabel

Now, how does one change all the cache short names from the silly GC1234 to something useful like CacheMonkey does?
If you just select ignore short names it will give you useful names for your waypoints.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 29 June 03 3:19 pm

So that what that does Hardunits. Much better.
I paid up EcoDave and so far have 2 downloads. Both have a problem. The first one (unfound) left the cache notes out for the Pulpit, the second one (unfound by me), which was supposed to cover 200 miles from my home location stops at the lower blue mountains.
I have a program already written which changes the cache symbol from planes to whatever for Ozi waypoint files. It was written to work with cachemonkey but will work with and Ozi format file.

bimi

Re: Converting GPX or LOC file to OziExplorer

Post by bimi » 29 June 03 4:11 pm

EcoTeam wrote:Does anyone know a way to convert EasyGPS GPX or LOC files to OziExplorer format?
I used to use a conversion utility on Kevin Reads page a long time ago, but it now seems to have dissapeared.
With CacheMonkey currently down, I want to be able to convert my premium membership pocket queries into GeoMap and OziExplorer

Thanks
Hi Dave,

I have heard of a programme which may do what you want. It is called GPSBabel. I do not have it , nor have I used it but it is often referred to in the various GPS news groups on the net.
Try: www.sourceforge.net and check out GPSBabel. I hope this may help you to do what you want.

Cheers, Neil

hardunits
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by hardunits » 29 June 03 5:17 pm

riblit wrote:So that what that does Hardunits. Much better.
I paid up EcoDave and so far have 2 downloads. Both have a problem....... I have a program already written which changes the cache symbol from planes to whatever for Ozi waypoint files. It was written to work with cachemonkey but will work with and Ozi format file.
Only realised it by trying with and without. The premium membership is worth it. I get everything I want delivered to me ervery day. The mobibook file goes straigh to the iPaq so paper is no longer required. Any chance you would like to share your program? I was going to just use a text find and replace then realised this may nuke some co-ords.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 29 June 03 6:07 pm

Hardunits - I have been using geoclipping and making notes for the Tungsten. I now have the premium membership so tried the mobibook format. The first one I tried was the unfound caches. I installed the file yesterday without reading through all of it, got out to The Pulpit and decided to reread the notes - There was nothing after "short decription" except the details of the next cache on the list. Not a good start. My 200 miles around me list stopped at the foothills of the Blue Mountains (32 km away). I know the US has a shorter mile, but not that short.. :( <br>
Cachemonkey works again so things are looking up. <br> My program is at http://members.optushome.com.au/riblit/. It works on the colours you set in cachemonkey, there should be sufficient info on the web page to drive it. You will have to check the symbol number that Ozi uses for the symbols you want. The defaults are what I use.

hardunits
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by hardunits » 29 June 03 6:10 pm

Thanks riblit.

I have the premium membership too. I have not had anyproblems with the mobibook files. I have not heard of geoclipping. Will have to have a look for that.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 29 June 03 6:13 pm

hardunits
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by hardunits » 29 June 03 6:17 pm

Thanks for that. I will download and have a play. CacheMonkey still doesn't like my eMap :( but works fine with my brand new Geko 201.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 29 June 03 9:37 pm

Funny, I have the same problem with my Emap