Palm GPSr software update

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Two Goth Geeks
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: TwoGothGeeks

Palm GPSr software update

Post by Two Goth Geeks » 18 June 03 12:58 pm

http://www.palmgear.com/software/showso ... odID=41032

Application Description:
Generate detailed maps using PDA with GPS

GPSgrabber will allow you to use your PDA with GPS as a datalogger to collect GPS co-ordinates and save them in specific database files. The GPS co-ordinates can then be transferred via serial interface cable to a desktop application called GPSmapper that will allow you to display the data as a map on your PC. When you buy, you get both the desktop GPSmapper and GPSgrabber as one package.

The purpose for this application is to give an easy to use GIS solution to people that do not need the sophistication offered by more conventional GIS applications.

Features of GPSgrabber

Interfaces directly with most standard NMEA enabled GPS devices.
Distinguishes between Markers (used to save point data), Tracks (used to save line data such a fences or rivers), and Areas (used to save area data that will indicate acreage on the map)
Each marker, track or area is identified by its own name, which will be displayed on the final map.
You can save as many markers, tracks and areas as your available device memory will allow. (* restricted for demo version)
You can delete individual markers, tracks or areas from memory, or delete all simultaneously.
Synchronisation with desktop PC via serial cable (standard Hotsync cable can be used)

GPSmapper - the easy and inexpensive GIS solution

Load a list of geodic latitude and longitude points from a file and plot this as a map.
Interface with GPSgrabber to download GPSdata from a Palm device.
Display a scanned map image or aerial photograph in JPEG, GIF or bitmap format
Calibrate map image by entering the logitude and latiude for any two points on the map
Display geodic latitude and longitude for any point on the map as you move your cursor around.
Calculate acreage simply by selecting the area on the map with your mouse.
Calculate mileage by just clicking all along the road you wish to measure
Calculate distance and heading between points on a map by simply clicking on both points
Create text based vector files of any part of the map.
Import text based vector files and display them on top of your map image.
Handle geodic data in different formats like ddd.dddd, dd mm.mmmm or dd mm ss.ssss.
Acreage can be shown as Acres, Hectare, Morgen, Sq Feet, Sq Yard, Sq Metre, Sq Mile or Sq Km
Distances can in meters, feet, miles, nautical miles or kilometres
Applications

Precision agriculture
Planning of hiking, cycling or off-road trips
Locating Geocashes
Estate agents can use it to plot the outline of a real estate on a map
Amateur surveying tasks
Creating maps of unchartered areas

Other GPS Related software by the same author

NavCalc - Navigational Calculator to do calculate distance and heading between waypoint. This application can also calculate the coordinates of a second or third point if certain parameters of the other two are already know.

GPScalc - GPScalc is a calculator to convert between geodic longitude and latitude to UTM eastings and northings and to calculate distance and headings between waypoints with great accuracy.

GPS Acreage - Use your Palm and a GPS to do surveying (calculate surface area for real estate of any shape of size). If you have a serial connection between your NMEA enabled GPS and your PDA, then it will automatically log readings from the GPS unit. Otherwise you can also manually enter the cooridinates of corner points.

GPSmapper - Use your Palm and a GPS to do draw detailed maps. GPSgrabber lets you collect GPS data on your PDA, and GPSmapper lets you display this data as a map on your PC.

MapTrack - Draws vector maps on the Palm screen. Click anywhere on the map to view the coordinates or enter any coordinates to see where it is located on the map. Can also be interfaced with a GPS to track your position precisely. You can use example maps or generate your own using the tools provided.

Triangulator - This simple but extremely useful application takes the complexity out of trigonometric mathematics. All you have to do is to enter three parameters (for example any two sides and one angle), and the program will calculate the remaining sides and angles for you.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 20 June 03 11:27 am

Financial control won't give me approval for the new <a href="http://h50025.www5.hp.com/hpcom/au_en/1 ... y.html">HP iPAQ 1910</a>. She says my Casio works just fine.
<p>
If you are buying something new, check that it will interface to your GPSr. Some of the new beepy diaries need special cables to talk to serial GPSrs.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

New toys

Post by swampgecko » 20 June 03 11:41 am

The Gecko Minister of Fun and Finances says that if I want new toys that I had better do a trip away over seas or save my pennys, and the chances of either of those happening right now are slim

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 20 June 03 2:11 pm

I knew there was a reason I updated my Palm. I'll try this stuff out once I work out what I need to connect the two together.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 20 June 03 2:11 pm

I knew there was a reason I updated my Palm. I'll try this stuff out once I work out what I need to connect the two together.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 20 June 03 3:56 pm

Hmmm,

Press submit once, get two copies, that's value for money.

Pesky, my ears are ringing from your shouting...