OT: Looking for some one who can design and build hardware

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
aussiecoder
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

OT: Looking for some one who can design and build hardware

Post by aussiecoder » 25 February 05 11:11 pm

I'm a programmer - never met a programming language I couldn't use !

But I want to fiddle with these new "mouse gps"es that are appearing.

I need someone to design and build a micro processor solution that will provide a user interface (LCD, buttons and LEDs) and long life power for these things.

I have a good idea of what I want, just don't know how to stick all the bits together.

Anyone out there both capable and interested ?

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 26 February 05 1:30 am

Do you just want the co-ords on a 16x2 char LCD?

aussiecoder
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by aussiecoder » 26 February 05 7:56 am

Lt. Sniper wrote:Do you just want the co-ords on a 16x2 char LCD?
That's the guts of it.

dajjct
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by dajjct » 26 February 05 9:50 am

Found this site a while ago, http://www.embedtronics.com/ He has a nifty little device http://www.embedtronics.com/GPS/lassenSQ.html posibly not what you want directly, but could provide info or a way to a solution.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 26 February 05 10:22 am

If you are just thinking of something like that

then maybe you should look at STAMP components, most of the processors have 1 or 2 serial interface built into the design. You can use one for serial GPS connection and the other to run the above screen. You just have to write the program that will read the NMEA signals and then write to the display. The above CrystalFontz display is a little pricey but DSE has 16x2 displays for around $20

Check out www.dse.com.au or www.nollet.com.au

This is kinda what I wanted to do ages ago but lost intrest because of lack of free time 8)

aussiecoder
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by aussiecoder » 26 February 05 10:38 am

Lt. Sniper wrote:If you are just thinking of something like that

then maybe you should look at STAMP components, most of the processors have 1 or 2 serial interface built into the design. You can use one for serial GPS connection and the other to run the above screen. You just have to write the program that will read the NMEA signals and then write to the display. The above CrystalFontz display is a little pricey but DSE has 16x2 displays for around $20

Check out www.dse.com.au or www.nollet.com.au

This is kinda what I wanted to do ages ago but lost intrest because of lack of free time 8)
I looked at DSE a while back and it was hundreds of dollars to get a development system (from what I could see you needed the development system to download programs to the stamp). I was in the local DSE this week and it seems most of their electronics components have been replaced by hair dryers and toasters :cry: I couldn't find their LCDs - they where there when I was looking at the stamp.

I'll have a sniff around the nollet site.

It seems much cheaper to run the LCD in parallel (the cheap ones use an 8 bit data bus) than to run them serial.

And then I have the problem of a power supply.

I've been searching for "off the shelf", but can't seem to find one with all the bits I need.

aussiecoder
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by aussiecoder » 26 February 05 10:51 am

dajjct wrote:Found this site a while ago, http://www.embedtronics.com/ He has a nifty little device http://www.embedtronics.com/GPS/lassenSQ.html posibly not what you want directly, but could provide info or a way to a solution.
Interesting. A little dated - it seems "every one" has a GPS board now - when this was designed there wasn't much choice.

thanks for the link.