Help me use my etrex and PDA

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
smegheads
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Help me use my etrex and PDA

Post by smegheads » 21 January 05 12:57 pm

Here Is an Idea I'm thinking of playing around with, but is going to require some help from others more in the know.

Here is the problem.
I own a Ipaq 3417, its a great little unit but however dosen't have a serial interface, but has bluetooth capabilities. I also own an in-expensive Etrex and would like to run these two together with some moving map software like Ozi.

Here is the possible solution.
This product http://www.gpsoz.com.au/bt_serial.htm would then allow me to to do this relatively cheaply, however only when I am in the car and not out about walking as it needs a power supply.

Would it be possible to make a cable that is connected to some sort of battery, wether it be a phone battery or laptop battery or even better multiple AAAs?

That way I could have the GPS-r in a holder on the side of my packpack, connected to the bluetooth box and battery and my Ipaq in my hand with moving map software, all done relatively cheaply.

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 21 January 05 3:44 pm

That'd certainly be possible but sounds a little bit bulky & fiddly.
<p>
Have you considered buying a Bluetooth GPS Mouse or CF Card. Available from Johnny Appleseed <a href="http://www.ja-gps.com.au/gps-haicom_index.html">here</a>.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Re: Help me use my etrex and PDA

Post by EcoTeam » 21 January 05 7:04 pm

smegheads wrote:Here Is an Idea I'm thinking of playing around with, but is going to require some help from others more in the know.

Here is the problem.
I own a Ipaq 3417, its a great little unit but however dosen't have a serial interface, but has bluetooth capabilities. I also own an in-expensive Etrex and would like to run these two together with some moving map software like Ozi.

Here is the possible solution.
This product http://www.gpsoz.com.au/bt_serial.htm would then allow me to to do this relatively cheaply, however only when I am in the car and not out about walking as it needs a power supply.

Would it be possible to make a cable that is connected to some sort of battery, wether it be a phone battery or laptop battery or even better multiple AAAs?

That way I could have the GPS-r in a holder on the side of my packpack, connected to the bluetooth box and battery and my Ipaq in my hand with moving map software, all done relatively cheaply.
That device draws around 0.5W, a fair amount of power.
Using AAA's you'd need 8 or more primaries or 12 rechargables in series, not very practical. AAAs would last you about 24 hours max for Alkaline, 20 hours for NiMh. A better but more complex solution would be 1 or 2 rechargable D cells with a DC-DC converter.

But of course your best solution is probably to avoid this altogether and think of something else... trying to carry a GPS, PDA, seperate battery and cables ain't fun.

EcoDave :)

smegheads
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by smegheads » 25 January 05 10:22 am

The Garner Family wrote:That'd certainly be possible but sounds a little bit bulky & fiddly.
<p>
Have you considered buying a Bluetooth GPS Mouse or CF Card. Available from Johnny Appleseed <a href="http://www.ja-gps.com.au/gps-haicom_index.html">here</a>.
Yes I have but unfortunately the prices of these things don't make it worthwhile... I'd rather buy a GPSMAP60C than an add-on GPS-R.
Considering the bluetooth cable is $99 and I already have an etrex its a lot cheaper to go that way.

Team Raider
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Raider » 27 January 05 12:33 pm

smegheads wrote:Yes I have but unfortunately the prices of these things don't make it worthwhile... I'd rather buy a GPSMAP60C than an add-on GPS-R.
Considering the bluetooth cable is $99 and I already have an etrex its a lot cheaper to go that way.
<p>
CF GPS is about $130.00 (max) from eBay.<br>
Seems easier to me! and much better set-up....<p>

Cheers
Mike

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 27 January 05 2:54 pm

Team Raider wrote:CF GPS is about $130.00 (max) from eBay.<br>
Seems easier to me! and much better set-up....<p>

Cheers
Mike
yeh...however there is no CF slot on the ipaq 3417 :roll: and buying a CF add-on card would not be worth it.........

Agsmky

Team Raider
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Raider » 27 January 05 3:06 pm

agsmky wrote:yeh...however there is no CF slot on the ipaq 3417 :roll: and buying a CF add-on card would not be worth it.........

Agsmky
<p>
Get an SD version then!!!!! http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... eName=WD2V<p>Cheers
Mike

Team GeoCoopers
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by Team GeoCoopers » 30 January 05 9:45 pm

Team Raider wrote:Get an SD version then
<p>Cheers Mike
YUM Mike they look nice :wink:

A more local source http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 5745496973

And what a coincidence that my laptop and my PDA also have SD card bus... for that price I'll let you know what i think of them.

---
Jeremy