An offline map option

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
dohertys
300 or more found
300 or more found

An offline map option

Post by dohertys » 22 May 03 8:39 pm

Apologies in adavance if this topic has already been covered. New to the group, first post etc, but I thought that this might be of interest to other cachers with map challenged GPS's like my vanilla etrex who want an affordable offline solution.

I just purchased the UBD street directory on a CD for Brisbane and the Sunshine & Gold Coasts ($40 for the 2003/47th edition). The plan is to stitch together some images to map into Oziexplorer to supplement the Auslig 250,000 maps I currently use. I had a look at the contents of the CD and worked out that it was relatively easy to import Geocaches directly into the UBD program. I can't validate this for other UBD city offerings, but this is what I did

a) Copied the CD to an arbitary C:UBD and installed it from there (saves having to have the CD in the machine as well as allowing you to modify the files).

b) Modified the facility.lst in the Brisbane folder so I added the Geocaches line :

Geocaches,geocache,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

c) Created a geocachef.csv file in the same folder ( note that the f at the end of geocache is important ) that had the caches of interest. This needs to be one cache per line containing in order the cache name, easting and northing (grid cordinates based on AGD66 Datum for the Brisbane version). Something like

Above the Trees,445632,7051134
Animal Instincts,474092,6866845

d) Restarted the UBD app and now geocaches are available under the Find/Facilities menu option. It goes to the correct map and marks a circle around GZ. Zoom, pan, print etc from there.

A bit fiddly especially with having to have the extra step of converting the coordinates to AGD66, but may be of use to some of you.

Cheers and beers

bmac
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by bmac » 24 May 03 12:08 pm

Sounds like a great idea.

I think cache monkey should be able to create the csv file and do the datum conversion for you. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

bmac.