Magellan Explorist - New Models

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
The Explorer

Magellan Explorist - New Models

Post by The Explorer » 07 January 05 2:22 pm

Magellan (US) website (www.magellan.com) mentions soon to be released Explorist models to compliment current 100,200 and 300 models already out. The new units (400, 500 & 600) have PC connectivity which is good (as the 100's-300's dont) plus SD card expandability for detailed maps. Also have some ability to upload geocache waypoints direct from website - not sure which website or what format but sounds good. Also use USB for data transfer. Wonder if they can be used with DiscoverAus..USB may be a problem? The 600 model has a TFT color Screen. 500 is also colour but not TFT. Think I may have to get one!!

Not sure when to be released in Aus but out in the US in 2 months ...so a little bird told me

Cheers
Greg

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 07 January 05 7:13 pm

This thread should have been posted in the Hardware section :D
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=2039
Lt. Sniper wrote: Patch antenna....why take a step backwards, if I wanted a dodgy antenna I would buy a Garmin

Very bad choice in batteries, I change my battereies in the field all the time, even when they are not empty.

The fact that the 100-300 eXplorist dont even have serial...WTF, Garmins cheapest unit has serial....very bad Magellan....

USB, dont care, I prefer the backwards compatibility with PDA etc through a serial connection.. I think it uses a serial to USB bridge...will have to check the specs of the Motorola board.

Geocache Manager, where are the pics of what it does..

Far from perfect IMO