Loading Trig Points into Garmin 650

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Loading Trig Points into Garmin 650

Post by gmj3191 » 19 August 17 1:44 pm

At an event this morning, a fellow geocacher mentioned that he was having difficulty loading Trig Points into his Garmin 600.
I usually use GA Cacher on my phone, so had no experience with this, bus when I got home I tried a few things.
I loaded up a GSAK database with a bunch of GCA caches and tried to get them into my Garmin using
A) Send Waypoints
B) The GarminExport macro I usually use for loading GC caches.

Using both methods, the Trig Points dropped out along the way.

I then tried to generate a GPX file using a My Query and then drag it into the GPX folder in the Garmin.

None of these attempts worked.

I tried to edit the TP into a GA in GSAK in case it was that, but not only did it not work, but the numeric part is not unique so GSAK didn't like it at times. It also wasn't the benchmark icon associated with the Trig Point.

Does anyone have a method to successfully get Trig Points into a Garmin?

Thanks.

PS All this highlights how good GA Cacher is.

caughtatwork

Re: Loading Trig Points into Garmin 650

Post by caughtatwork » 19 August 17 3:09 pm

The Macro may or may not recognise the benchmark type. That's nothing we can control.

You should use the v1.0.1 version the GPX file which is the compatible version with GSAK and the schema matches what may be used on the GPS unit. You are are using 1.0 which may be the issue.

http://geocaching.com.au/my/settings/
GPX Version 1.0.1 Compatible

I do that and GSAK will happily use the Send Waypoint for all TP's to my GPS.

What GPS in being used? It may be old or new, compatible or not. All of this information about where you are getting the file, how they are being handled, etc, is all needed to properly diagnose the problem.

Try the GPX version first.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 20 August 17 1:22 am

Thanks Peter.

I updated my GCA profile to use V1.0.1 with the same results.

All GCA caches in a Query were able to be imported into GSAK.
When I transferred them from GSAK to my Oregon 650 using the GarminExport macro, they all went across except the Trig Points.

When I dragged the Query GPX file directly across into the Garmin GPX folder in the GPS, same thing.

The Trig Point caches TPnnnn just don't seem to be compatible with the Garmin 650 running Ver 5.00 of the firmware.

Is there anybody out there who is able to load them in successfully?

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 20 August 17 8:31 am

Are you sure that you don't have a filter set in the 650?

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 20 August 17 10:56 am

gmj3191 wrote:When I transferred them from GSAK to my Oregon 650 using the GarminExport macro, they all went across except the Trig Points
That sounds like the same macro that I use, so I'm wondering if you have a tick in the check box for "Convert Benchmarks to Geocaches?" in the Conversions section of the main dialog box.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 August 17 2:16 pm

Copy the GPX file directly to your GPS and see if that works for TPs. If so, then it's a GSAK setting.

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 20 August 17 3:03 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Copy the GPX file directly to your GPS and see if that works for TPs. If so, then it's a GSAK setting.
That doesn't work for me on either 5.0 or the newer 5.1 firmware that I just loaded. (Also testing last night I couldn't load them via GSAK by any method.)

I have had trigs in the past on the GPS but I cannot remember what it was that made them visible.

The last few that I have found have either been new ones that I have found off the topo maps and created the listings for or have been found using the app.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 20 August 17 6:58 pm

gmj3191 wrote:
When I dragged the Query GPX file directly across into the Garmin GPX folder in the GPS, same thing.
Nope Peter, tried that.

Can't see a filter set, everything else seems to be there except TPs.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 20 August 17 7:00 pm

Chwiliwr wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Copy the GPX file directly to your GPS and see if that works for TPs. If so, then it's a GSAK setting.
That doesn't work for me on either 5.0 or the newer 5.1 firmware that I just loaded. (Also testing last night I couldn't load them via GSAK by any method.)

I have had trigs in the past on the GPS but I cannot remember what it was that made them visible.

The last few that I have found have either been new ones that I have found off the topo maps and created the listings for or have been found using the app.
I might try rolling the GPS back to an earlier version if that's possible, and see if they work then.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 20 August 17 7:18 pm

Can't see how I can roll back to a previous version.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 20 August 17 7:33 pm

It looks like Garmin have been fiddling in the filter area of the later software versions.
You can filter by
Trad
Multi
Mystery
Letterbox
Event
Mega
CITO
Earthcache
Wherigo
Virtual
and WebCam

No mention of
Benchmark, which means we could have a problem, and TPs are no longer viable on the better Garmin GPS units.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 August 17 8:44 pm

I have an Oregon 600, so we're close enough. I do not see benchmark in my filter list but I do see TPs.

HOWEVER ...

If I use any filter (evven if I just turn traditional off and the on again) then I LOSE ALL TPs until I go into "Apply a Saved Filter" and use the "Show All" saved filter. That properly cancels the filters and shows all geocaches.

i.e. I apply a filter (turn traditional off then back on). I lose TPs.
I go to Filters -> Apply a Saved Filter -> Show All. I now have TPs back.

It looks like the filter in the units which do not register benchmarks do not set display ON if you play around with any filter. As it doesn't know about benchmarks it cannot turn them back ON. But applying the Show All, it seems to by default show everything again.

Try that.

Chwiliwr

Post by Chwiliwr » 20 August 17 11:02 pm

caughtatwork wrote:I have an Oregon 600, so we're close enough. I do not see benchmark in my filter list but I do see TPs.

HOWEVER ...

If I use any filter (evven if I just turn traditional off and the on again) then I LOSE ALL TPs until I go into "Apply a Saved Filter" and use the "Show All" saved filter. That properly cancels the filters and shows all geocaches.

i.e. I apply a filter (turn traditional off then back on). I lose TPs.
I go to Filters -> Apply a Saved Filter -> Show All. I now have TPs back.

It looks like the filter in the units which do not register benchmarks do not set display ON if you play around with any filter. As it doesn't know about benchmarks it cannot turn them back ON. But applying the Show All, it seems to by default show everything again.

Try that.
Yes that works for a GPX file loaded directly. Haven't tried it from a GSAK load as yet.

All 22 in the GPX including some found ones are now visible.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 21 August 17 1:31 am

Chwiliwr wrote: Yes that works for a GPX file loaded directly. Haven't tried it from a GSAK load as yet.
Yes, works for me too, thanks Peter.
I tried it using the GarminExport macro, and it works for that too.

There are 23 cache types in mainstream and I think about another 7 in GCA, and I suspect we'd have the same issue with all except the ones listed in the GPS filter options. Too tired tonight to test.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 August 17 9:03 am

In v1.0.1 of the GPX file we translate all GCA specific types to a known GC type. e.g. History becomes Virtual. Reverse becomes Mystery.

We do that to avoid this issue where a device, app, site, etc, only handles the types shown by GC and does not use the values in the file. As the GC GPX file schema is not enumerated, any geocache types is valid, but poor programming means people hardcode values and then ignore anything not known. This means some apps, devices, sites, etc, will never pick up new or change geocache types. This was evidenced by the name change of Mystery some years ago by Groundspeak. A lot of apps and devices failed all because of poor programming when Groundspeak changes the name of the Mystery geocache type. This leave sthe world stuck with a very old, out of date schema that cannot be enhanced.