iPhone user wanting to log through gca

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Chasburgs

iPhone user wanting to log through gca

Post by Chasburgs » 23 August 15 9:08 pm

Hi everyone. I'm a newby from July 2015 with an iphone and a Garmin Oregon 550. I'm used to using geocaching.com and logging all finds through that. I do however like idea of using local ;) so which app should I be using to log gca caches please?

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Re: iPhone user wanting to log through gca

Post by fluffyfish » 23 August 15 9:27 pm

This app seems to be the best solution.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/geocach ... 60076?mt=8

Chasburgs

Post by Chasburgs » 23 August 15 9:31 pm

Ok cool. So to support the Aussie site, log through that one first, then the others?

Lizstarbeam

Post by Lizstarbeam » 23 August 15 9:42 pm

heya i too started just recently i just downloaded the above app and it says geocaching.com so i have logged in and they are all the same as the american app so now i wonder how do i log my gca account to the app as i would love to support aussie over the fact i just gave america another $9.99 to buy geosphere agh lol

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 23 August 15 10:26 pm

Chasburgs wrote:Ok cool. So to support the Aussie site, log through that one first, then the others?
You can only log Geocaching Australia exclusive caches here (caches starting with GAxxxx or TPxxxx) Geocaching.com caches still need to be logged there or via their app.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 23 August 15 10:33 pm

GCA does NOT currently have a iPhone app (PLEASE don't download the Geocaching Australia app in the store, it is NOT anything to do with us, nor does it work!)

You can use geosphere to find caches on the iPhone, but it's not quite a seamless experience, here's a little tutorial: http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/GeoSphere

The good thing is you can use Geosphere to find GCA AND GC caches (and those from other sites too!) all in one app.

Chasburgs

Post by Chasburgs » 24 August 15 11:54 am

Awesome thanks for that. Will try and remember and log caches from home for a bit ;)

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 03 December 15 1:46 pm

well geosphere help me with gnomes? Can I search for ones that have a last log of moved? I can't seem to work out how to do that with GSAK....

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 December 15 1:47 pm

LouiseAnn wrote:well geosphere help me with gnomes? Can I search for ones that have a last log of moved? I can't seem to work out how to do that with GSAK....
Beware that a find with new co-ords is as good as a move :-) Seriously.

Tyreless
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Tyreless » 03 December 15 2:25 pm

With geosphere you can update all the gegnomes in the field (assuming you have 3G connection).

First, create a query in geocaching.com.au (ie: that will create a gpx of all caches with tag "gegnome2"). Then run that query once as a gpx and make a note of the file it creates (in my test case it is 7572.gpx).

Now in geosphere create a user bookmark. Call it whatever you like (eg: "GeGnome Boogaloo") and for the URL put in the URL of your query (for me it is http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/gpx/7572.gpx).

Whenever you want to update the location of all the GeGnomes just run this bookmark. It's worth saving the output of the gpx into a new group called, for example, GeGnomes. That way you can filter your offline caches for them easily.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 03 December 15 3:44 pm

It is a bit of a workaround for iPhone users, particularly difficult for them with movable caches.
I think GCA would be much more popular if there was
a) A GA Cacher equivalent for iPhone
or
B) The GCA site, in the area, of finding and logging caches, was smartphone aware.

I wonder how hard it would be to do that.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 December 15 3:57 pm

gmj3191 wrote:It is a bit of a workaround for iPhone users, particularly difficult for them with movable caches.
or
B) The GCA site, in the area, of finding and logging caches, was smartphone aware.

We have asked for someone to do that. We had zero response. An iOS app requires a mac (or equivalent) and an iOS device. You can't build it on a windows machine.

As far as the site being mobile device aware, what do you suggest? What information do you have in the field that would allow the site to identify what you wanted to do next?

MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Post by MavEtJu » 03 December 15 4:08 pm

gmj3191 wrote:It is a bit of a workaround for iPhone users, particularly difficult for them with movable caches.
or

It's not. I'm logging caches from my iPhone, I'm updating caches from my iPhone.

What I'm not doing yet is bulk import for an area (I just use a NSW based GPX file download) and uploading of images.

Edwin

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 03 December 15 6:00 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
As far as the site being mobile device aware, what do you suggest? What information do you have in the field that would allow the site to identify what you wanted to do next?
Perhaps just mobile formatted copies of the key caching pages. You could go to them directly, rather than worrying about detecting if a person was using a mobile device, although that can't be too difficult.

I think the guy that runs pathtags has done something like that, although he calls it an app rather than a mobile site.

https://www.pathtags.com/mobile/

LouiseAnn

Post by LouiseAnn » 03 December 15 9:45 pm

today I was using my phone for finding gnomes and I found that the map had very very tiny points and the writing to click on was tiny. It would be nicer if it was all a little larger