Garmin Foretrex 401

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Garmin Foretrex 401

Post by blossom* » 16 January 15 7:37 pm

I have just been given this neat little gps and have saved a number of Tracks. I can see each of them on the gps but I'd like to download them to my computer. However on my computer, I can only see 2 files called current.gpx and position.gpx in the directory E/Garmin/GPX/Current. Nothing else is visible anywhere. :-k

Why can't I see the tracks?

Thanks for any help or suggestions

TiedyeSmileys
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Re: Garmin Foretrex 401

Post by TiedyeSmileys » 24 January 15 11:13 pm

If it is standard Garmin, then the track files are all contained within the current.gpx file. You can use Garmin Basecamp to extract them, but I find it much easier to just let Google Earth do it for you by itself.

-With your GPSr turned off, connect it to your computer.
- If it then turns itself on when connected, great. If not, turn it on after you have connected it so the computer can see it.
- In Google Earth, open the 'Tools' menu and select GPS. A GPS import window will pop up. Select Garmin and Tracks under the Import section and KML Tracks under output and click on the Import button.

All the tracks should now be displayed on Google Earth. You can move the slider bar at the top to view tracks added over time.

The individual tracks are shown on Google Earth under the Places window on the left under Temporary Places, Garmin GPS Device, Tracks. You can select individual tracks here and move them to saved place or export or whatever you would like to do with them.

blossom*

Re: Garmin Foretrex 401

Post by blossom* » 25 January 15 8:17 am

Oh, oh, oh!!! Thanks you SO much, I'll give it a try :D