Help Please! -Garmin Map60c

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Chookies
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Help Please! -Garmin Map60c

Post by Chookies » 02 December 04 10:51 pm

I am wanting to output from my Garmin map60c into a larger screen, in car. We are contemplating purchasing an "in car DVD player", to keep the lil tikes happy on longer journeys. We would like to be able to feed GPS input to this screen. Most in car GPS units do this well, via an AV input. The Map 60c doesn't have an AV output. Can I some how do this? Any advice/help/hints/answers would be very much appreciated.
Sincerely, Chookies (still learning & loving it)

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 03 December 04 2:45 pm

You cant AV output your Garmin.

Try just using a car PC or laptop with AV out to connect it to a DVD system.
Run moving map software (ozi) with NatMap(auslig, what ever it is) or some form of map like that to see where you are.

It would be something like this....
I call it the "The Ultra Mega Cacher 4000 Entertainment System" :)

muzza
2500 or more caches found

Post by muzza » 04 December 04 4:08 pm

<p>I've thought about an in car computer and looked at motherboards, power supplies, disks, cases etc. but I've never actually found one already setup. Is there one - or is your photo of something else?</p>

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 04 December 04 9:06 pm

When I made the pic I had a fair idea on where I could get a pic of a car based system. www.viaarena.com

From there I followed a link from 'Ads by Gooooooooogle' to an online store.

http://www.mini-box.com/site/index.html

muzza

Post by muzza » 04 December 04 9:28 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll check out both the links.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 05 December 04 10:23 am

Do you have a video camera? Put it in macro mode, power it off the car (an inverter is a good thing to have anyway) and lash up some way of pointing it at the GPS screen. Voila! You have a big-screen GPS!

If you don't have a video camera, but do have a digital still camera, check to see if if has a TV-out option (many do) and whether that gives you an output when it's recording. Same deal from there on.

Lucanos

Post by Lucanos » 05 December 04 1:39 pm

Further on that idea - some DV Cameras have a TV-In socket.
As such, you might be able to replace the In-Car DVD Player/Plasma Screen with a Video Camera (cheaper, multi-purpose and removeable).

I just suggested this as I know that the Sydney Pol-Air Chopper has a little DV Camera in the cockpit which records the footage shot with the big camera slung under the cockpit...

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 05 December 04 1:41 pm

There is a 16 x 9 7" TFT screen with monitor input and a touch screen overlay available ex Singapore for about AUD350.00 - check eBay.<br>

This plugs into the monitor socket (external monitor on a laptop) and has higher resolution than the AV out. The touch screen plugs into the PS/2 mouse port. Works well with Ozi moving map and a laptop.

Lucanos

Post by Lucanos » 06 December 04 10:07 am

eBay Search for "TFT Touch" - looks like the item & price range Riblit was speaking of.

I had to close that window quickly as my wallet was already starting to feel $350 lighter....