Using mapsource with a laptop and CF card.

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
fleacircus

Using mapsource with a laptop and CF card.

Post by fleacircus » 02 December 04 10:20 pm

I have a garmin and mapsource that works fine when tracking but when i use the mapsource with a CF GPS card, mapsource wont allow the map detail to be shown. As I understand it, its because the CF card outputs NMEA sentences instead of GARMIN format and possibly because it also lacks a garmin unit ID.
In hindsight, the CF card is next to useless as it was just so that I didnt need to connect and disconnect the handheld all the time.
Does anyone know of anyway to 'convert' the sentence 'on the fly' so I can track with detail?
Cheers,
Wayne

Lucanos

Post by Lucanos » 03 December 04 9:52 am

Hi, I haven't yet set up a rig similar to your (but I do hope to do so at some stage in the future).<br>
<br>
Three ideas:<br>
1) What Manufacturer, Make & Model is the CF GPS Unit?<br>Have you checked the firmware version? Maybe they have had enquiries about similar usage.<br>
2) Have you spoken with Garmin?<br>As far as I can tell the MapSource App is designed specifically for use & registration against a Garmin GPSr, so the program itself may prevent you from getting what you want.<br>
3) Have you checked out OziExplorer?<br>I think it can support what you are wanting, and would allow you to load any maps you want (street, topo, etc.)<br>
<br>
Just some ideas, from a complete amateur.

fleacircus

Post by fleacircus » 03 December 04 8:58 pm

Hi Lucanos,
The card is CF in a PCMCIA sleeve, the brand is I.Trip, I haven't had any luck finding firmware or much info from the manufacturer but I'm still looking.
I have emailed garmin and expect very little :) Google searches reveal this is a well known 'problem' or 'feature' depending on how you look at it. As a legitimate registered user I'm pretty dissapointed that Garmin would seek to move closer to a 'propriety' sentence output rather than a standardised system as it limits severely the usefulness of their products. Reading all the material around on how many people cant upload or download info from their garmin without the top-dollar software makes me think they are happy to look after those who buy a 'complete' system but aren't as interested in those who want to choose the equipment individually that suits their needs, whatever brand it may be. I really wish I hadn't gone GARMIN in the first place as they seem to be the 'communists' in the GPS world.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 03 December 04 11:17 pm

You need a software patch and a Garmin GPS for PC routing from what I remember, but I cant find the info....

Edit1:
http://www.garmin.com/support/download_ ... jsp?id=575
nRoute, its free but read what it says.

Edit2:
http://lists.gpsoz.com.au/garmin_nroute.htm
Its got more info there, its a free download but Brians listing it included in a bundle.

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSo ... navAUS.jsp