Cheap GPSr's

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 03 December 04 2:38 pm

Webguy wrote:is that deer dead?
Yeah, its dead :cry:

ving

Post by ving » 03 December 04 3:54 pm

EcoTeam wrote:
ving wrote:hi!
er... since i am brand new to the whole gps/geocache thing i cant really add much, but I got the magellan gps companion on ebay for a little over $100 AU but you have to have a palm M5XX to go with it. seems to work ok :)
Until you drop it, smash it against a rock, or put tree branch through the screen :shock:

EcoDave :)
I'll have to just not drop it then hey ;)

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 03 December 04 5:39 pm

ving wrote:
EcoTeam wrote:
ving wrote:hi!
er... since i am brand new to the whole gps/geocache thing i cant really add much, but I got the magellan gps companion on ebay for a little over $100 AU but you have to have a palm M5XX to go with it. seems to work ok :)
Until you drop it, smash it against a rock, or put tree branch through the screen :shock:

I'll have to just not drop it then hey ;)
You'll eventually do it when you are scrambling over rocks, climbing down gullies etc
Of course you can be *VERY* careful, but then you ain't caching with the utmost of gung-ho efficiency which is required to nab those virgin caches :twisted:

Give me a GPS you can beat the crap out of any day!

Chookies
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Chookies » 04 December 04 10:21 am

Anaconda in Bayswater, Vic. are offering the Yellow E-trex units for $189, & have truck loads of them (when I went in last week). The only problem is, according to the salesman, you cannot enter waypoints into them and then go looking for that waypoint (eg caching).

The only way to place waypoints into the unit, is to actually be at that location in order to "mark" the spot, hence creating a waypoint (eg fishing). He tells me that it is more for returning to a particular spot, or for backtracking / breadcrumbs. Once again we are apparently not able to enter waypoints from home.

Good luck

dcr
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by dcr » 04 December 04 12:35 pm

Chookies wrote:Anaconda in Bayswater, Vic. are offering the Yellow E-trex units for $189, & have truck loads of them (when I went in last week). The only problem is, according to the salesman, you cannot enter waypoints into them and then go looking for that waypoint (eg caching).
The salesman was being inventive, and only halfway there :)
After you mark your waypoint, you can then edit the location to be your cache (of course you can always get the data cable and upload them as well)

I purchased one of the Anaconda Etrex units last weekend, and it has so far found 5 caches. It is much better than the Magellan GPS2000 (but I have been told that the average house brick is better than the 2K!). It is not as good as the Etrex Venture .... but it will be a lot cheaper to replace if I damage it than Tracy's work Etrex Venture 8)

cheers Darren :)

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 04 December 04 9:55 pm

dcr wrote:
Chookies wrote:The salesman was being inventive, and only halfway there :) After you mark your waypoint, you can then edit the location to be your cache (of course you can always get the data cable and upload them as well))
<p>
We are talking about a normal Garmin Extrex are we not, or this a dumbed down verision? If it is a normal Gramin Extrex you can put in waypoints in advance. The process is explained on page 14 of the manual. The model I am referring to is shown at http://www.garmin.com/products/etrex/
<p>
Golden rule: Be an informed shopper ....
<p>
Andrew

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 05 December 04 7:04 am

I think it was Philostein who bought a SupaCheap Auto GPS and ended up taking it back. Hey, I could be wrong but I do remember someone I know telling me they bought a SupaCheap model and the screen was so crap and it was such a soft case that they passed it in before it broke.

The sales man is right but what he didn't tell you is that, yes you can put in a waypoint using the mark function but then edit that waypoint to goto a predesiginated location, such as caching. Like most salespersons - they only understand whats on the box and not really how it works. Of course it would be too much to let the staff take one home for the weekend to see how it really works.

Yes - the deer is dead. I have gone back to that page three times 20 minutes apart and either it is grazing in a good spot or it's been shot cause I haven't see it move from the screen once.

Bronze.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 05 December 04 6:14 pm

Chookies wrote:Anaconda in Bayswater, Vic. are offering the Yellow E-trex units for $189, & have truck loads of them (when I went in last week). The only problem is, according to the salesman, you cannot enter waypoints into them and then go looking for that waypoint (eg caching).

The only way to place waypoints into the unit, is to actually be at that location in order to "mark" the spot, hence creating a waypoint (eg fishing). He tells me that it is more for returning to a particular spot, or for backtracking / breadcrumbs. Once again we are apparently not able to enter waypoints from home.

Good luck
Tens of thousands of Geocachers will tell you otherwise.
There is no eTrex model (yellow or otherwise) that does not allow you to manually edit the waypoint, the salesman is wrong as others have pointed out.
This is how caching used to be done before GPX files and waypoint software came along. We had to manually enter every single cache co-ord into the GPS by hand. It wasn't until CacheMonkey came along that we had a simple means to upload the data via cable.

I know some who don't even do this in the field any more for multi-caches, they use their PDA :roll:

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 05 December 04 6:38 pm

EcoTeam wrote: This is how caching used to be done before GPX files and waypoint software came along. We had to manually enter every single cache co-ord into the GPS by hand. It wasn't until CacheMonkey came along that we had a simple means to upload the data via cable.

I know some who don't even do this in the field any more for multi-caches, they use their PDA :roll:

What are you trying to say, Dave?? :twisted: :P

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 05 December 04 8:26 pm

That poor deer. :evil: I'm all sad now.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 05 December 04 9:22 pm

EcoTeam wrote:This is how caching used to be done before GPX files and waypoint software came along. We had to manually enter every single cache co-ord into the GPS by hand. It wasn't until CacheMonkey came along that we had a simple means to upload the data via cable.
Dave, you are a)just a young'un and b)a forward-thinking electronic engineer; you don't qualify for "In my day..." nostalgia! :)

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 06 December 04 7:36 am

Bear_Left wrote:
EcoTeam wrote:This is how caching used to be done before GPX files and waypoint software came along. We had to manually enter every single cache co-ord into the GPS by hand. It wasn't until CacheMonkey came along that we had a simple means to upload the data via cable.
Dave, you are a)just a young'un and b)a forward-thinking electronic engineer; you don't qualify for "In my day..." nostalgia! :)
When I was a boy... :P

Chookies
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Chookies » 06 December 04 8:49 am

Thanks for the "Accurate" info re the Etrex. I see there isn't much point talking to the "GPS expert" of that store. I will pass on the info to my friend, & in the mean time continue enjoying our Garmin map60c. :lol:

ving

Post by ving » 06 December 04 11:58 am

EcoTeam wrote:You'll eventually do it when you are scrambling over rocks, climbing down gullies etc
Of course you can be *VERY* careful, but then you ain't caching with the utmost of gung-ho efficiency which is required to nab those virgin caches :twisted:

Give me a GPS you can beat the crap out of any day!

so unless you are accident prone you arent a geocacher? :p
just kidding.

I just aint that gung-ho yet... doesnt mean i wont be, and by that time i'll prolly move on to another hobby :p

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 06 December 04 12:04 pm

My eTrex fell 30cm from a couch onto the wooden leg of said couch and the screen cracked. The rubber edging is also coming off, so they are certainly not indestructible. They're reasonly scratch resistant and droppable as long as the impact isn't focussed on a single point in the middle of the screen.

- Rog