Elevation plot graph

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Sat Down

Elevation plot graph

Post by Sat Down » 08 April 14 9:00 am

G'day fellow cachers
I am after some technical help, and please it needs to be a step by step idiots guide as I am hopeless with technology. :oops:
I have a Garmin Oregon 300 GPSr and basically I use it for geocaching. Mygeoteen son, recently did a Duke of Edinburgh hike on the Six Foot Trail in the Blue Mountains and took the GPSr with him, not for geocaching but to see how far he had walked, his average speed etc. Can you believe I preloaded a cache at the Cox's river campsite and he did not look for it? Too tired he said! #-o He is very interested in the elevation plot as well and we were wondering if there is anyway we can take this plot and transfer it to the laptop to print it. When I connect the GPSr to the laptop there are so many files in there I have no idea what I am looking for. All I know is it is not a GPX file. Can anyone walk me through how to print the graph?
Please if possible do not include the use of GSAK in you solution as I have no longer got that installed. Even thatwas a bit too complicated for me.
Cheers in advance
Catherine ( Sat down)

Sat Down

Re: Elevation plot graph

Post by Sat Down » 08 April 14 12:11 pm

Addit... I have gone into the menu on the garmin drive but I don't see anything that resembles tracks or anything like that

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 08 April 14 3:32 pm

If the tracklog is still in there, go to the tracks menu and save it. this will then save is as a GPX.

Connect to your computer via USB and it should be there under the Garmin/GPX folder in GPX format.

When I get home I'll confirm the exact names.

Sat Down

Post by Sat Down » 09 April 14 12:31 pm

Thank you Craig Rat. I have done that and can now find the GPX file in the garmin menu on the computer. I still have no idea how to print the graph though. If it helps when I open it up, it defaults to easy GPS and just shows me the route taken not the elevation plot. Thanks again in advance

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 09 April 14 1:30 pm

Can you save it as a CSV file, load into Excel and then separate out the elevation data and graph it?

jusojara
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by jusojara » 09 April 14 3:54 pm

I use Garmin Basecamp, which is downloadable from the Garmin website, with my Montana. It produces the elevation graph from the GPS for me.

biggles1024
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by biggles1024 » 09 April 14 6:31 pm

As you've been able to indenitify the track's .gpx file, you could try uploading it to gpsvisualizer. I prefer the way it draws elevation profiles to those drawn by Garmin Basecamp.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/profile_input

Sat Down

Post by Sat Down » 09 April 14 7:29 pm

Thanks everyone. I'll try these suggestions tomorrow. I'll let you know how I go. Thanks again

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 09 April 14 9:19 pm

If you use the Oziexplorer software, that will also display the tracklog and also the elevation profile, as well as speed.

Sat Down

Post by Sat Down » 10 April 14 1:18 pm

Thank you so much everyone. I have succeeded in printing the info off with the Garmin base camp, which I have never used before. I did not even know it existed. Thanks again for all your help.