Travelling OS with GSAK

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
tronador
6500 or more caches found

Travelling OS with GSAK

Post by tronador » 22 February 14 12:34 am

Is it possible to use GSAK with a tablet? I'll be heading OS and don't want to carry a laptop but will have my tablet. I have a dilemma of how I will load my Garmin with caches as I presently do this with GSAK by downloading the pocket queries. Please don't suggest I use my phone. I DO NOT PHONE CACHE. Have never phone cached and I won't be on roaming data to phone cache.
If I can use GSAK on the tablet how do I down load the caches into the GPS as there is no USB cable attachment on a tablet. Or can I load GSAK on a portable HD like My Passport, and hook this up to a tablet but again no USB port.
Any suggestions other than visiting an internet cafe?

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: Travelling OS with GSAK

Post by Richary » 22 February 14 5:14 pm

No USB is a problem, the tablet I have at work has USB but it was quite a pricy one. The only thought I would have is via bluetooth if both the tablet and GPS support it.

I admit I don't know of any bluetooth enabled GPSrs but then I have never investigated the matter.

The only other option would be to get close to a cache you want to go for and manually enter the coords the old fashioned way :-k

geo_jas
3000 or more caches found

Post by geo_jas » 22 February 14 9:29 pm

I thought most tablets should support USB via a separate adaptor. I got one for a few dollars off Ebay. Search for your tablet name with USB OTG.
I use my tablet to transfer the gpx files from GC and GCA to the sd card for the etrex. I used to be able to plug the GPS in with a USB cable but after the last update the tablet no longer supports this complaining about high power device. Of course you'll need an internet connection to download the files but I've always had luck with free internet at the golden arches.

tronador

Post by tronador » 22 February 14 9:46 pm

geo_jas wrote:I thought most tablets should support USB via a separate adaptor. I got one for a few dollars off Ebay. Search for your tablet name with USB OTG.
I use my tablet to transfer the gpx files from GC and GCA to the sd card for the etrex. I used to be able to plug the GPS in with a USB cable but after the last update the tablet no longer supports this complaining about high power device. Of course you'll need an internet connection to download the files but I've always had luck with free internet at the golden arches.
This sounds promising. I have a Samsung Galaxy tab. Thanks for the tip. How did you plug the GPS into tablet? Using this adapter???I don't want to transfer individual gpx files but a bulk load from my pocket queries. How did you transfer the files ? From GSAK or directly from your pocket queries? Internet connection will not be a problem where I am going. Most places have free wifi in the hotel rooms. If not most cafes offer this for free, when you order a coffee. Thanks for the help.

Travelling for an extended period of time in various countries means I can't preload everything before I go which is what I've done in the past. The other option is to take numerous preloaded SD cards. but that is a pain.

geo_jas

Post by geo_jas » 22 February 14 10:34 pm

I have a galaxy tab too. The OTG adaptor has a USB socket and a couple of card slots.

I take the sd card from the GPS and plug it into the adaptor. Then I just drop the gpx files (directly from pocket queries) onto the card using the tablet's file manager. This is how I do all my GPS downloads.

There's an app called Pocket Query Creator that I've found useful to help generate on-the-spot pocket queries when travelling to a new place.

tronador

Post by tronador » 22 February 14 10:37 pm

geo_jas wrote:I have a galaxy tab too. The OTG adaptor has a USB socket and a couple of card slots.

I take the sd card from the GPS and plug it into the adaptor. Then I just drop the gpx files (directly from pocket queries) onto the card using the tablet's file manager. This is how I do all my GPS downloads.

There's an app called Pocket Query Creator that I've found useful to help generate on-the-spot pocket queries when travelling to a new place.
Awesome. I'll give it a go.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 14 March 14 4:07 pm

I don't think anyone has explicitly stated that GSAK will not run on an Android tablet.
Is that understood? GSAK won't figure in the discussed methods above. (The original question in the thread.)

tronador

Post by tronador » 26 March 14 4:22 pm

geo_jas wrote:I have a galaxy tab too. The OTG adaptor has a USB socket and a couple of card slots.

Can you give me step by step instructions on how you got the gpx files onto the sd card. I bought an adapter for the galaxy it recognises the sd card.ie I can open it via the file manager but I have no clue how to add something via the file manager. When I download the pocket query it doesnt give me an option of where I want to store it. It downloads and then I have to search for where it is. Once I find it I cant seem to cut and paste.This is so frustrating.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 26 March 14 5:44 pm

If you use SolidExporer, turning to Landscape opens up dual windows so you set one to your downloads folder, and one to your Garmin folder on your SD card.
Then it.s a it a long press on your downloaded file to get options like Move To .... Copy To ....

Downloads are usually found in >sdcard>download there, but I think that depends on how you download them, and dome browsers or apps may let you changethat.
I can't see a way to change it in Chrome, but there may be a way.
That's an internal folder of course, not the SD Card device.

tronador

Post by tronador » 26 March 14 5:52 pm

What is Solid Explorer?

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 26 March 14 6:57 pm

A File Explorer type app.
I imagine they are all similar, just happens to be the one I use.

geo_jas

Post by geo_jas » 26 March 14 9:04 pm

I use File Manager HD by Rhythm Software to unzip and copy the file.

Find the zip file. There's a shortcut to the Download folder on the left, it should be there. Mine goes there when downloaded using Chrome.
Press and hold on the zip file till the menu comes up and select Extract | Extract to this directory.
If there's only one file press and hold and select Copy. If you've got more than one file select the Multi button at the top and select all the .gpx files then select Copy from the top.
Navigate to /extStorages/UsbDriveA/Garmin/gpx (you can long press on the folder and set a bookmark) and select Paste from the top.

This is the way I update my etrex every week.

tronador

Post by tronador » 26 March 14 9:28 pm

Thanks I'll give that a try.