Streets & Trips, GPS Tuner or Ozi Explorer CE

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
dt3186

Streets & Trips, GPS Tuner or Ozi Explorer CE

Post by dt3186 » 23 November 04 10:01 pm

I have an iPAQ 4150 and bluetooth Rikaline GPS. I have started using GPS Tuner v3.6 and scanned street maps. Am I doing it the hard way? Loading the gpx files is easy but loading the maps is not fun after the first few. Do most just buy maps?

Has anyone had a look at Microsoft Streets & Trips with the Australian maps? Do the maps just cover the caplital cities? Can you load in the gpx files?

How does Ozi Explorer compare to GPS tuner? It looks like it is the most used on Pocket PC.

Regards,
DT3186

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 24 November 04 9:07 am

I haven't used GPS Tuner, but I use Ozi CE a fair bit. After taking a quick look at the GPS Tuner web site, some of the key differences are:

* Ozi does not have a compass screen. For this reason I would probably not use Ozi Explorer CE to help me find a geocache.

* Ozi supports a wider range of file formats for maps (although you must convert them to .ozf2 or .ozfx3 on your PC before you can use them with Ozi CE).

* Ozi cannot open .gpx files (although there are plenty of utilities that can convert a .gpx file to Ozi's .wpt format).

As for maps, good free street level maps are generally not all that easy to come by. The Ausways products (Sydney & Melbourne) can be imported into other mapping applications. The UBD products cannot be used in any other application other than the UBD viewer.

What area are you looking for maps for? Sometimes you can use maps from some mapping web sites with a little bit of effort.

dt3186

Post by dt3186 » 24 November 04 9:19 pm

I was looking for maps initially for the SE Melbourne suburbs. What mapping web sites are good?

I have been using www.land.vic.gov.au for calibrating the maps. Is this the best way?

Thanks,
DT3186