Aldi Handheld GPS

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
RogueHound

Aldi Handheld GPS

Post by RogueHound » 14 July 13 10:37 pm

Gday all

I'm new to geocaching and this is my first post here. I've been using my phone so far to find caches (Nexus 4) but I noticed a GPS device in the Aldi catalogue today. Would it be better than using a smartphone? I've read that dedicated GPS devices are generally more accurate, but I'm unsure about this particular device. It looks to be good value but I figured I'd ask the experts.

Thanks in advance.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Aldi Handheld GPS

Post by CraigRat » 15 July 13 9:02 am

Prior to this year I would have said 'Yes, get a handheld GPS'

But nowadays if you are seeking caches in populated, non-bush settings(which, let's face it are the majority of caches nowadays) then I wouldn't bother unless you have a real compelling need. The GPS in a N4 has GPS as well as Glosnass capabilities, which will be good enough for 99% of the caches you may do if urban caching is your thing.

A CHEAP GPS may be no better than a smartphone. (Mind you, if it's a Etrex or something it'd be fine - but the GPS in your phone may be better than these 'older' units they are flogging off for cheap. Beware of cheap no-name GPSrs)

If hiking in the bush or going away from civilisation a GOOD GPSr will always serve you well.

Of course, a 'proper' gps will give you better lock in the city and under trees etc..... but I find I don't use my Garmin anymore for anything thats <15 minutes walk from the car.

TLDR: A good GPS is better, but good smarthphone like a N4 will do you for the majority of caches out there.

RogueHound

Post by RogueHound » 15 July 13 9:04 am

CraigRat wrote:Prior to this year I would have said 'Yes, get a handheld GPS'

But nowadays if you are seeking caches in populated, non-bush settings(which, let's face it are the majority of caches nowadays) then I wouldn't bother unless you have a real compelling need. The GPS in a N4 has GPS as well as Glosnass capabilities, which will be good enough for 99% of the caches you may do if urban caching is your thing.

A CHEAP GPS may be no better than a smartphone. (There is a reason they are $60 when 'good' gps units cost $200-$300)

If hiking in the bush or going away from civilisation a GOOD GPSr will always serve you well.

Of course, a 'proper' gps will give you better lock in the city and under trees etc..... but I find I don't use my Garmin anymore for anything thats <15 minutes walk from the car.

TLDR: A good GPS is better, but good smarthphone like a N4 will do you for the majority of caches out there.
Cheers :)

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 15 July 13 9:11 am

Compared to my Galaxy Nexus the GPS in the Nexus 4 is fantastic.