Google Earth issues

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Google Earth issues

Post by Yurt » 11 July 13 10:22 am

I use Google Earth a fair bit to check on mystery cache solutions before wasting an attempt on Evince/Geochecker etc. Also use it for checking out the landscape sometimes for other finds.

I've found that suddenly on one computer when I paste in coords for a cache Google Earth takes me not to the coords but to the nearest address and puts the pin in the middle of that address. I was thinking I had the wrong solution to a mystery and checked it with the checker and was correct. It was only then I realised that the pin was not on the coords. I've gone through all the options I can find but I can't work out how to take it back the way it was. I didn't change anything myself but there are always gremlins that occur in programs.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

On my other computer it still works fine. I was having an issue where when I zoomed in below a certain height the screen went black. I found one way to fix that but it reverted. I then reinstalled GE and it worked. Interestingly I didn't have to uninstall GE before reinstalling it.

spatialriq
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Re: Google Earth issues

Post by spatialriq » 11 July 13 2:08 pm

I usually get 2 pins, a red one at the nearest feature google can find and a green arrow at the coords I've just entered.

Could be a software thing, I'm using Firefox.

geo_jas
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by geo_jas » 11 July 13 7:33 pm

When you paste it in put loc: in front of the coords (make sure it's lower case.) Works on all versions as far as I can tell

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 12 July 13 10:55 am

Thanks, that worked as a work-around but I do wonder why it has changed and how to change it back permanently.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 13 July 13 12:16 am

I haven't tested it, but did you at some stage decide to go to the new version of google maps? Maybe that made a difference?

I tried the new version for a few days (use it regularly at work) and decided to go back to the old version. The main reason is that streetview is less functional. On the old version you can drag the little man and it highlighted in blue all the places you could drop him. In the new version you actually have to go to a point and then click from memory before it shows you nearby spots. Annoying.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 24 July 13 10:32 am

I've found my other computer's version of GE has been corrupted by some update and now also only goes to the nearest address rather than the actual coords. Unless it's way out in the bush - there must be some proximity factor. I've googled this to death and no one at Google seems to understand the problem. They usually don't.

I did find a solution to another annoyance though. Now I hate the 'tilt' - why would you ever want to look at an aerial (or 'satellite') view at anything but 90 degrees to the surface I'll never know but GE seems to love it. When you want to view something in Street View and then you exit Street View it always returns to the aerial view with the unwanted tilt. There is an option to disable tilt but that doesn't work AT ALL.

The solution to return to your north orientated 90 degree untilted view is to hit the key 'R'. Amazing.

Wish I could fix the need for the loc: though.

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Re: Google Earth loc: Tip

Post by pjmpjm » 24 July 13 2:30 pm

geo_jas wrote:When you paste it in put loc: in front of the coords (make sure it's lower case.) Works on all versions as far as I can tell
Good tip. Thanks!

pjmpjm
Twitter: Booroobin

Re: Google Untilt Tip

Post by pjmpjm » 24 July 13 2:31 pm

Yurt wrote: The solution to return to your north orientated 90 degree untilted view is to hit the key 'R'. Amazing. Wish I could fix the need for the loc: though.
Another good tip! Thanks.