Garmin Oregon 600 Geocaching Profile Turned Blue (Marine)

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Garmin Oregon 600 Geocaching Profile Turned Blue (Marine)

Post by Aushiker » 05 July 13 8:16 pm

Hi

I have today updated the firmware in my Garmin Oregon 600 to 2.8 and with that I now have a corrupted Geocaching profile as per the attached images. I can thankfully change to other profiles and can access setup that way and get some functionality but obviously this is not ideal. I cannot seem to make any changes to the Geocaching profile to get any icons happening and all that is available when I roll-up the screen is what is shown in these images.
I have also done a full reset numerous times without any joy.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks
Andrew

maccamob
10000 or more caches found

Re: Garmin Oregon 600 Geocaching Profile Turned Blue (Marine)

Post by maccamob » 06 July 13 12:06 am

Go into setup and then, near the bottom of that menu (scroll the icons) until you find "Profiles". Go into that and select "Geocaching" then "Use". That should fix it all. If not, what do you see when you reselect the Geocaching profile? Also, what reset method did you use?

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 06 July 13 9:11 am

maccamob wrote:Go into setup and then, near the bottom of that menu (scroll the icons) until you find "Profiles". Go into that and select "Geocaching" then "Use". That should fix it all. If not, what do you see when you reselect the Geocaching profile? Also, what reset method did you use?
Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried the "use" option a few times and it just brings me back to the blue marine background screen.

The rest I tried is the full reset via the setup menu. I don't know if there is a hard reset option like on the Garmin Edge 810? That requires the use of a combination of the power-key, lap key (?) and holding the left corner of the screen.

I am heading out the door this morning for two weeks on the Munda Biddi Trail so may have to put up with it (I have got reasonable functionality via the Recreation screen) unless it is turns out to be an easy fix.

Regards
Andrew

maccamob

Post by maccamob » 06 July 13 2:25 pm

Master reset is described here: http://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com/Diagnostic

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 15 August 13 7:49 pm

According to Highly Tuned Athletes owner Mr Rob Grinter all the problems I had with my Garmin Oregon 600 recently occurred because I was using OpenStreetMapping ... The maps caused the following problems which I raised with Garmin International (ignored) and Highly Tuned Athletes. Apparently my use of OpenStreetMapping was irresponsible and the cause of these issues as it seems it works fine for them at their store ... (with those same maps installed BTW). I experienced all of the below whilst riding in the South-west of WA. It seems that the disclaimer at http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ where I download the maps from explains these issues. Does anyone have the disclaimer from their Garmin City Navigator or Topo maps by any chance? It would be interesting to see the wording and how it is different.

Anyway just putting out there what I experienced. I have the tracks at Garmin Connect if anyone is interested in what it recorded.

1. My Garmin Oregon 600 not synchronise with either of my Garmin GSC-10 sensors despite both advertising material and the manual indicating otherwise. Those same GSC-10 sensors synchronise with Garmin Edge 810 and previously with my Garmin Edge 800 so I know the issue is not with the sensor. Interesting the Oregon 600 will synchronise with my Adidas HRM strap. I consider this critical failure as it was one the features I lead to my purchase of the unit. Any replacement or repair must have this functionality working correctly please or there is little point in replacing or repairing the unit.
2. The Oregon 600 has been inconsistent with its auto-pause function. Sometimes it will auto-pause sometimes it will not. The amount of tree coverage appears to have no influence on this. I have found that on more than one day, a day of riding could be recorded with approximately 60% being added to the day’s distance when compared to the map. I didn’t deviate from my planned route at all and hence this sort of error level is extremely concerning, more so if one is navigating and using distances as a critical navigation tool. I found the only solution to this was to physically turn off the unit whenever I stopped.
3. In contrast to the issues raised in dot point 2, I found I could be riding along when the Oregon 600 would simply go into auto-pause mode. This was a known fault in early firmware updates of the Garmin Edge 800 and which was fixed so it is staggering to see it happening again now with a much more modern unit in the Garmin range
4. I found the Oregon 600 showings speeds up to 30 to 40 km/h when I am doing 10 km/h or less and again in situations where often there was little to no tree coverage. On one day it recorded a maximum speed of 90 km/h! I was riding a loaded mountain bike on dirt trails where my average speed would have been around 10 km/h over the day.
5. The Garmin Oregon 600 route tracking gets confused following a turn in the road or trail and often then heads off showing me going well off-track and adding considerable distances to the day’s ride distance.
6. On more than one occasion it would simply just recorded me heading off into the wilds for no apparent reason;
7. My Oregon 600 regularly looses satellites even in clear tree coverage (e.g., riding in farming country). When this occurs I have to use the auto locate satellites feature to re-locate the satellites. When I do this the Oregon 600 finds the satellites within seconds. On some days this was happening up to 15 times over a six to eight hour ride. In my view this is a very serious concern as surly a company such as Garmin Limited with a history of GPS development should have such a fundamental functionality working correctly.
8. If I switch to external power source (e.g., USB battery supply) it causes the Oregon 600’s screen to change to a different display and at times simply changes the chosen the profile! It simply seems to have a mind of its own.
9. I found that a set of Duracell Ultra alkaline batteries I tried (fresh purchase) lasted no more eight hours which is well short of the claimed battery life. I was getting similar battery life times from a rechargeable batteries as well;
10. My Oregon 600 will at least once a day randomly turn off;
11. My Oregon 600 will lock up requiring the removal of the batteries to force it to restart again seemly on a random basis;
12. Tones continue to sound even though they have been turned off in the settings
13. Updating to firmware 2.8 resulted in the lost of the geocaching profile as per our email discussions.

Regards
Andrew

Chwiliwr

Post by Chwiliwr » 16 August 13 12:22 am

Not that it helps much but I think whatever is causing point 7 is the root cause of points 2 to 6 as I've found that a lot of hand held GPS units from most manufacturers do not have enough software error routines to know that the unit has begun recieving false data from a rogue signal or that that the unit is not recieving enough signals at all for some time after the event occurs.

I found that on both Garmin and Magellan units of various models seem to project speeds based on past readings and report it for some time after the satellite signals have been lost. In the case of a rogue signal you suddenly get a position well away from where you are giving a really high false speed until it corrects itself again.

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 16 August 13 9:30 am

I'd be returning it under the consumer law of it fundamentally not proforming the function for which your bought it

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 16 August 13 10:17 am

Chwiliwr wrote:Not that it helps much but I think whatever is causing point 7 is the root cause of points 2 to 6 as I've found that a lot of hand held GPS units from most manufacturers do not have enough software error routines to know that the unit has begun recieving false data from a rogue signal or that that the unit is not recieving enough signals at all for some time after the event occurs.
I would have thought that by now Garmin would have that working reasonably well. I am used to these sorts of deviations/spikes now and then and used to get them with my Garmin Edge 800 but the frequency with this new unit was way to high, like virtually ever time I stopped for more than a minute. My Garmin Edge 800/810 does not do this and this shouldn't either.
I found that on both Garmin and Magellan units of various models seem to project speeds based on past readings and report it for some time after the satellite signals have been lost. In the case of a rogue signal you suddenly get a position well away from where you are giving a really high false speed until it corrects itself again.
I got that a lot. I was looking back through all the tracks from the ride last night and a couple of "better" ones ... http://connect.garmin.com/activity/345736868 and http://connect.garmin.com/activity/345736961.

Andrew

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 16 August 13 10:24 am

LouiseAnn wrote:I'd be returning it under the consumer law of it fundamentally not proforming the function for which your bought it
It is with Highly Tuned Athletes now and they are basically blaming me/OpenStreetMap for the issues. They have tested it apparently on a 16 km ride or drive and it worked fine, well my track logs show that can happen to. Sixteen kilometres is not the same level of usage that I used it for and the track logs speak for themselves.

So yep next stage is I am afraid either a chargeback or Consumer Affairs Victoria. Really disappointing as I have had excellent customer service from Highly Tuned Athletes in the past and wouldn't have hesitated to use them/recommend them and have done a lot. Not now but :(

Andrew

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 16 August 13 10:35 am

Just went back to http://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com/Common+Issues and will be contributing my list of errors but surprise surprise (not) I think I can tick a few boxes there :(

Andrew

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 16 August 13 2:17 pm

I got an update email from Highly Tuned Athletes ..

A couple of points worth noting ...

First it was address to "Dear Customer..." which given I have dealth personally with Rob Grinter on a number of times and spoken to him personally on the phone numerous times etc, was pretty immature.

Fault found was due to Experimental maps being inserted by Customer which the producer of said maps specifies that they are known to have bugs/issues and are under development, specifically in the area of your complaint. Free map provider clearly specifies that the maps should be used at own risk and should not be relied upon. http://www.openfietsmap.nl/

Physical damage to unit was also noted and photographed.

Whilst outside our responsibility, we have rectified the unit back to factory settings and tested extensively over several days. No further fault found whatsoever.

So there you go. Oh the physical damage was a couple of nicks in the unit from when I had to tap it out of the bike mount (damn tight fit) and it fell to the ground. I guess I shouldn't be using it in the outdoors. Had I cracked the screen or something I would accept that as my fault.

Andrew

LouiseAnn

Post by LouiseAnn » 16 August 13 2:31 pm

It's a shame that the great relationship you had with these guys has deteriorated to far.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 16 August 13 9:13 pm

LouiseAnn wrote:It's a shame that the great relationship you had with these guys has deteriorated to far.
Yep. I have brought three GPS units from them and a GoPro camera .. never again.

The last missive included the following statements:
In relation to reading your list of errors, in fact your statement could not be further from the truth . One of my senior technicians has spent 16 hours on your device testing the unit, putting it through some of the most througher testing known. Also, no less than 3 staff have read your letter front to back, several times, including 2 meetings to discuss its severity. This to you may seem like special treatment, however it is in fact normal around here. In a sentence, your letter, its contents and each and every fault, was taken with the utmost seriousness and well beyond.

The initial fault is not a major fault, it is probably not even a minor fault based on the abnormal manner in which it has been used, hence If you wish to play out this transaction and complaint via Consumer Victoria, then you are welcome do so.

I believe they are sending the unit back to me and that they have done a hard rest to the factory specifications as a "courtesy to me." I will have to do some long rides in the bush I guess to see how it goes and fingers crossed that a hard-rest resolves the firmware issues, makes it find satellites with a degree of accuracy and reduces the GPS drift to acceptable levels. Interestingly the hard rest details in the Garmin Knowledge base is dated July 30, 2013 which explains why I couldn't find any information earlier in the ride :(

Garmin Australasia also where offering a replacement unit then decided to withdraw the offer (nice :roll: ).

The problem as see is the unit was working okay in the city for the week or so before I went away with OpenStreetMap installed. It wasn't until I got to Albany and started riding that all the issues started to come to the fore. Not keen in doing that again only to find I am back at square one.

Andrew