Velomap/Openmtbmap Experience?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Velomap/Openmtbmap Experience?

Post by Aushiker » 08 June 13 4:52 pm

Hi

Has anyone had experience using either/or Velomap or more particularly Openmtbmap? Just curious if they are worth 20 Euros for a years subscription

Thanks
Andrew

mtrax

Re: Velomap/Openmtbmap Experience?

Post by mtrax » 09 June 13 9:53 am

I have no idea but seems pretty modest price assuming the coverage is good for AUS or where ever you are going
and I assume its just designed for MTB ..
if its based on Openstreet map then coverage in Australia is good except for some of the remote areas.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 09 June 13 12:33 pm

mtrax wrote:I have no idea but seems pretty modest price assuming the coverage is good for AUS or where ever you are going
and I assume its just designed for MTB .. .
Australian use mainly ... Velomap is for road use, well focused on road cyclists but the Openmtbmap is aimed at mountain bikers and bushwalkers. For the initial payment you get access to both anyway. I think I will give it a shot as the guy seems to put a lot of effort into them and he is now full time on them. Seem popular in Europe.

Andrew

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 09 June 13 6:57 pm

I've been using the OpenMTBMaps for pretty much as long as I've been caching. They're easy to install (on Windows at least - a simple EXE file to run), detailed and able to be customised to suit your GPS screen type at installation time (eg. Wide lines for dull Oregon/Dakota screens). I'm a subscriber for them too - it's a small price for the ongoing development and improvement of the maps.

:-$

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 11 June 13 12:52 am

quiet1_au wrote:I've been using the OpenMTBMaps for pretty much as long as I've been caching. They're easy to install (on Windows at least - a simple EXE file to run), detailed and able to be customised to suit your GPS screen type at installation time (eg. Wide lines for dull Oregon/Dakota screens). I'm a subscriber for them too - it's a small price for the ongoing development and improvement of the maps.
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will give them a go.

Andrew