Offline Andriod Maps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Hoojar
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Offline Andriod Maps

Post by Hoojar » 22 May 13 11:05 am

Does anyone have a good Andriod app that they use for offline routable maps? I know that Tom Tom has such a app. I have always used Garmin and was therefore hoping to use their app, however it does not seem to exist. I was hoping that someone would know of an app that you can upload a GPX file as POIs, in the similar way to a dedicated Garmin in-car navigator.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: Offline Andriod Maps

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 22 May 13 11:50 am

I use Copilot (because I used it in Palm days and had a membership I could transfer) and there's ways of converting GPX to .trp that it can read. I'm confident that gpsbabel can do it, for example.

These days, I only keep it as a backup for when I'm out of cellular data range so Google Maps stops working.

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 22 May 13 4:09 pm

Hoojar wrote:Does anyone have a good Andriod app that they use for offline routable maps? I know that Tom Tom has such a app. I have always used Garmin and was therefore hoping to use their app, however it does not seem to exist. I was hoping that someone would know of an app that you can upload a GPX file as POIs, in the similar way to a dedicated Garmin in-car navigator.
I'm only fairly new to Android (and smartphones for that matter), but have used both Navigon and NavFree with relative success. Navigon is free if you have a samsung phone (I believe....) and quite good. And it works well alongside c:geo, with c:geo utilising it for the navigation to cache.

NavFree was really nice too, and used OSM maps (albeit some older ones), but the recent update caused terminal failure for my app and I haven't been able to make it work since.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 22 May 13 10:19 pm

I have no idea how good these are but try google OSM or Open Streetmaps and Android

eg https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... plus&hl=en

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 22 May 13 11:48 pm

I think there is a Garmin Basecamp app for andriod.