Geko 301 Bike Mount

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Geko 301 Bike Mount

Post by Aushiker » 21 November 04 3:46 pm

Hi
<p>
Looking for a bike mount for my Geko 301. Johhny Appleseed GPS have a <a href="http://www.ja-gps.com.au/gpsprod_geko_accs.html">MKT23 Mount</a> for $33.00 but was wondering if anyone had other ideas or alternative solutions. Having picked up a car mount for under $10, I am hopefull :P
<p>
Thanks
Andrew

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 21 November 04 11:01 pm

I couldn't see why you couldn'tmake one. Pick a car mount and then go down to the local hardware store and get some sort of clamp for the size pipe you need. It shouldn't cost much. You could make it out of 2 bits of flat steel and 3 bolts. A hole at each end of steel. Make another hole 3/4 of the way along one piece. Drill a hole thought the holder. Bolt it to the hole 3/4 of the way long. Use the 2 bits of steel as a clamp on the handle bar. If you have a welder or access to one you could weld one up. You could use wood instead of steel to make it. Some ideas for you to think about.

Dooghan

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 22 November 04 7:52 pm

ROFLOL ... Thanks for the suggestion Dooghan, but you see I am an academic for a reason :lol: .... has something to do with my lack of skills with all things "handy... related.
<p>
Andrew

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 22 November 04 8:27 pm

I have another suggestion for you. Johhny Appleseed has them for $33 :lol:

Dooghan

Guvenor_sier

Post by Guvenor_sier » 23 November 04 3:29 am

I recently made one on the motorbike for an etrex, and you could probably make one in a similar matter.

I had a metal plate lying around, drilled 6 holes in it, 4 on the corners, 2 in the middle on the left and right. With the corner holes, put through some model car silicone/something fuel line, tied it from going through holes with 4 cable ties, then used 2 rings that have screws on them to tighten them around a circle (similar to those that you would use to hold an attachment on a rubber pipe), and just put the screws through the top of the plate, so it held the 2 circles to the plate and to the bar. The 2 other cable ties and little bits of rubber were just to absorb vibrations through the bars, as suposedly the legit bar holders can cause sparking at the battery terminals which can turn it off. I had all the stuff at home already, so it didn't cost me anything.

You could substitute fuel line for elastic, or some other firm holding material and probably substitute other thigns too.
<a href="http://members.iinet.net.au/~sierishere/gps.jpg">Pic</a>

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 23 November 04 1:59 pm

Dooghan wrote:I have another suggestion for you. Johhny Appleseed has them for $33 :lol: Dooghan
<p>
I am starting to think that is the way forward too :-)
<p>
Andrew

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 23 November 04 3:34 pm

I need one for my bike too Andrew, maybe I will use the above directions and photo to give it a go,

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 23 November 04 5:56 pm

OK
I have been out to the warehouse, we have a couple of old bikes out there, I have stripped the brake calipers off one of them which gives me two mounts to fit onto your Mountain bike bars, they should be the same size I hope.
I need to find a piece of aluminum channel that I can bolt to this and to fit a gps into.

Andrew

edit;
I have just found some channel I can use.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 24 November 04 8:48 am

I have the bike (bicycle) mount for my eTrex. It is basically a ring that attaches around your handle bars, and a replacement battery cover with a clip to attach it. Works great. I used it to go get C4 in the Royal National Park (near Sydney) a couple of weeks ago.

We considered getting a second one to attach to the pram...