cheap and quick data cable for Etrex H

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Op Ivy
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

cheap and quick data cable for Etrex H

Post by Op Ivy » 19 March 13 1:24 pm

I have an Etrex H which I've used on and off for a long time without a data cable. In about a week I'll be doing a project where it'd be good if I could download things from my Etrex. I've looked at my options:

1) Local - Johnny Appleseed - Garmin serial cable $55 + USB-RS232 converter cable generic $66 = $121
2) Ebay - Kawa GPS (US) - etrex to USB cable $26.87 (inc postage) to be delivered in 2+ weeks, or plus about $35 for express delivery which MAY arrive within the week = about $61.87
3) Ebay - gfc u know me (Australia) Etrex plug serial cable bare end (no RS232 plug, just wires) $6.95 + USB-RS232 converter cable generic $12.95 + express post $12 = $31.90

So, the third option looks the best to me but the problem is I still have to wire the data cable end to something. The obvious thing I think is to use a cable that has a female RS232 end on it and I could just twist the wires together and wrap individually with electrical tape (to save hitting someone up for a loan of a soldering iron). The best price I can find for one of these cables is about $10. So, for a total of $40-ish I could get the whole thing set up. Or... I'm also wondering if it's possible to take the converter cable, cut the RS232 end off and wire the data cable directly to that? The thing here is for the RS232 f plug and cable I could test with light bulb and battery to find correct wires, not sure how you'd do the equivalent on a USB plug?

I know it's a long shot but I'm hoping someone here might have done this already and can give some advice.

P.S. - I'm aware of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKBGC9X8-0E where someone has made their own plugs for the data cable - I might resort to this but want good connections that won't fall out if I bump the desk whilst doing a data transfer.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: cheap and quick data cable for Etrex H

Post by Richary » 19 March 13 5:16 pm

If you are lucky someone may have a cable they are willing to part with from an old eTrex that no longer works (mine has been donated to the work GPS).

Op Ivy
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by Op Ivy » 20 March 13 1:19 am

Thanks for your reply Richary. I eventually found a cable that goes direct from Etrex to USB on Ebay from an Australian seller for $30 plus postage. Needless to say I jumped on it.

In case anyone reads this thread and also wants one, the link is: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... RK:MESE:IT I got the 2nd last one though, so there's only 1 left now.

wilco
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by wilco » 23 April 13 1:31 pm

I sold my eTrex some time ago, but recently discovered that I still have the serial cable sitting at home. If anyone wants it send me a message and I'm happy to give it away if you cover the postage.

--> cable has found a new owner now
Last edited by wilco on 07 May 13 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

JABs
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by JABs » 23 April 13 2:41 pm

wilco wrote:I sold my eTrex some time ago, but recently discovered that I still have the serial cable sitting at home. If anyone wants it send me a message and I'm happy to give it away if you cover the postage.
PM sent.