GCA Android App - GA Cacher

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
the Monkey King
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: The Monkey King @Au

Re: GCA Android App - GA Cacher

Post by the Monkey King » 15 January 13 4:28 pm

This works on my android tablet to a degree: my tablet doesn't have a GPS built in to it and because of this I can't search for caches near my place.

Is there anyway we could enter in the home co-ordinates that I have listed on GCA profile?

The 'nearby' button tells me that I don't have GPS or internet, but I am using my tablet connected to the internet and I get a 'cannot load caches' message.

thanks for the app though - I can still load GA codes to get the info I want. :)

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 15 January 13 4:36 pm

the Monkey King wrote:This works on my android tablet to a degree: my tablet doesn't have a GPS built in to it and because of this I can't search for caches near my place.
Is there anyway we could enter in the home co-ordinates that I have listed on GCA profile?
The 'nearby' button tells me that I don't have GPS or internet, but I am using my tablet connected to the internet and I get a 'cannot load caches' message.
thanks for the app though - I can still load GA codes to get the info I want. :)
Interesting what model have you got?
Also what Android version is it running? Have you enabled you Use wireless networks for Location?
As for the Internet I'm pretty sure I'm using the standard API to determine that so you must be not using a standard wifi port perhaps.

the Monkey King
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by the Monkey King » 15 January 13 5:00 pm

I have a generic tablet calling itself a "T10A" with android version 4.0.4

I have the wi-fi turned on (and it is working ok - I can visit the GCA web site and forum using it) and I can do the 'login test' in the settings section and that passes, telling me my log in name and cacher name.

Edit - I have also checked the location service for the tablet and they are turned on

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 15 January 13 5:25 pm

the Monkey King wrote:I have a generic tablet calling itself a "T10A" with android version 4.0.4

I have the wi-fi turned on (and it is working ok - I can visit the GCA web site and forum using it) and I can do the 'login test' in the settings section and that passes, telling me my log in name and cacher name.

Edit - I have also checked the location service for the tablet and they are turned on
So is Location working now, does Google maps know where you are?

the Monkey King
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by the Monkey King » 15 January 13 6:22 pm

nope & google maps says 'location unavailable' (this is the same for google maps by itself)

I dont have any security on my wi-fi, so that shouldn't be blocking anything there.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 20 January 13 12:23 pm

In preparation with some furture UI changes I've Uploaded a new release (0.44) with some minor changes mainly to optimise app for Android ICS and JB users. Also other change worth nothing is the app can support APP2SD ie it running app from SD card for those with small RAM configurations.

So if you have no menu button and run ICS (4.0.4) and above the Taskbar should contain a overflow button ":" which you can access these now.

The updates should appear on the Play store pretty soon.

As usual any issues let me know ASAP.
thanks

Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 21 January 13 5:59 pm

I was in the Sussex Inlet area today checking out two moveables that were hidden in an area affected by a recent bush fire. They had been reduced to ash & as I had a signal thought I'd record their fate there & then. Turned on GA Cacher, waited & loaded nearest caches. Neither appeared. I have previously found both but you can find moveables more than once. Had the code for one so entered that but wouldn't let me add a note.

Is this how it works for moveables?

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 21 January 13 6:44 pm

The default filter is set to load only unfound, if you want previously found caches (even movable) you need to open the settings
1. change Search type to ALL or found and then
2. load nearby,
BUT if you know the GA code it would be easier and quicker to use the Load-1 button.

thanks

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 21 January 13 9:30 pm

Ta - shall adjust.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 12 February 13 2:28 pm

Hi another release out, this is a major UI change for the cache details screen, which now users a "viewpager" to view cache details and logs.

ie you can drag the details screen across to see logs and a static map.

This change is to make it a little easier to view logs rather than scrolling down to bottom of the page you just drag or swipe across. I've put a bit of work into this new UI so hopefully it should make it a bit easier to use.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 12 February 13 3:14 pm

Can't get the map to load for love nor money. Just sits there spinning, spinning, spinning.If I go the map button on the front page, all is cool, so it's not my data connection. Also, all of the cache descriptions seem to have lost their paragraphs. Just one large glob of text.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 12 February 13 3:30 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Can't get the map to load for love nor money. Just sits there spinning, spinning, spinning.If I go the map button on the front page, all is cool, so it's not my data connection. Also, all of the cache descriptions seem to have lost their paragraphs. Just one large glob of text.
hmm I don't know about the map thing , perhaps you can email me a logcat so I can see whats happening its works for me on my two devices.

The paragraph thing relates to the convert from HTML, but now some new =; input has been updated I can have another go at outputting the HTML on a webview.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 12 February 13 3:56 pm

Map is working fine on my GS2, but the HTML glob problem I got!

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 12 February 13 4:24 pm

gmj3191 wrote:Map is working fine on my GS2, but the HTML glob problem I got!
the main issue is sometimes the text is HTML and sometimes its just plain text, I'll see what I can do with this, but I'm pretty sure this was the way it was before , right?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 12 February 13 4:51 pm

There "should" be no instance where it's not HTML.
We force a smart editor on people and we always store the data as HTML.
So unless there is only 1 line everything should be HTML as it will have a para or line break.
Remember we use htmlentities to encode HTML tags, so you'll need to decode them at your end.