best garmin gps maping

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
danmetal

best garmin gps maping

Post by danmetal » 04 December 12 10:19 pm

I just bought a garmin etrex20 and wondering what is the best routeable maps to use as a first time user of gps .

caughtatwork

Re: best garmin gps maping

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 12 11:03 pm

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Re: best garmin gps maping

Post by quiet1_au » 05 December 12 7:39 am

I use the openmtbmaps.org maps (regular not velomaps which are more directed at road/racing bikes) They work best with Windows, although as of last month there is now Mac versions too :) They come as an easy installer onto your computer for BaseCamp and let you select a display mode that works best with your device (eg has one for Dakota/Oregon dull displays). Then you can transfer them via MapInstall. In theory has the same OSM data as C@W's link - I haven't tried that site yet. OpenMTBmaps provide contour maps too.

I believe routing may still have issues, and I've come across missing and incorrect street names, so test it well before you rely on it. When I went overseas I ended up just buying the Garmin map - but was annoyed that I couldn't get a version for multiple devices nor free updates so now it nags me... Open the road (on a Nuvi) they worked well, but I still use the OSM maps for geocaching as the off-road details are great!

:-$