first GPS

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
danmetal

first GPS

Post by danmetal » 30 November 12 12:35 pm

my wife is interested in starting geocaching , looked at a garmin Etrex 20 , anyone have feedback on that unit , pros ,cons

blackie_71

Re: first GPS

Post by blackie_71 » 30 November 12 4:36 pm

I use an etrex 20 for caching and think its a top unit for the price, Its got all the features that I want and not too many that I don't. Rather than purchase expensive garmin maps I use free ones from shonky maps and open street maps, they cover most of the places that I go caching. Battery life is pretty good too, I can cache all day easily without changing them. If you get the etrex 20 make sure you download garmin basecamp onto your pc, this makes connecting to Garmin for software updates really simple. I also find it quick and easy to load cache detals into the unit, all I do is run a pocket query, save it to the pc, connect the GPS and then drag and drop the files into the appropriate folder. I've found the Etrex to be as accurate as anything else I've used or seen so you will have no worries there.

danmetal

Post by danmetal » 02 December 12 10:51 am

Thanks for the feedback on what I know was a fairly narrow subject matter , your comments seem to match up with the research I had done but Its great to get it from someone that has actually used one .I went and bought one yesterday , will look into shonky maps for my area too.

rinsemesocks

Post by rinsemesocks » 02 December 12 8:14 pm

So what about a Magellan eXplorist 110? How do they compare. I have a choice of that or a etrex 10 for christmas.

JABs
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by JABs » 02 December 12 8:49 pm

rinsemesocks wrote:So what about a Magellan eXplorist 110? How do they compare. I have a choice of that or a etrex 10 for christmas.
If you are looking at a Magellan look at there GC over the 110, as the GC unit is dedicated to geocaching.