Android Upgrade

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
greynomads

Android Upgrade

Post by greynomads » 27 November 12 12:54 pm

I have a Garmin-Asus A50 smart phone which I find has an excellent and accurate GPS device. I use the Groundspeak Geocaching app. which costs about $10. The app. has stopped working and it seems that the app. now only works if the Android OS is 2.2 or greater. My OS is 2.1

I have spoken to Garmin Australia who tell me I need to speak to my carrier (Optus) . Even though the phone is marketed by Optus, I am actually with DoDo besides which, the phone is unlocked anyway.

Is anyone else having trouble using their Garmin Asus A50 with the Grpondspeak app ?

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: Android Upgrade

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 27 November 12 4:16 pm

I've looked for a way to upgrade MBL's A50 to something beyond 2.1, to no avail. It never sold well enough to have a user base big enough for anyone to bother porting CyanogenMod or similar to it.

If the Groundspeak app now requires 2.2, then I'm afraid you're out of luck.

What you can do, though, is get an old version of the app (I can probably help if you get stuck) and just never update it. It'll work as well as it ever did, until and unless Groundspeak stop allowing it to access their database. (And I'm afraid that's on the cards, probably sooner than later...)

ruralslicker
Location: Churchill Vic 3842 (Latrobe Valley) 160 km east of Melbourne

Post by ruralslicker » 28 November 12 8:05 am

I have the same phone (from Optus|) and accept that it can never go beyond 2.1. However it was free (a clearance model) and it's still an excellent phone until I upgrade down the track. I never ever purchased the Groundspeak app - instead went for NeonGeo which still works perfectly. Costs about $5 - there's a demo. Worth investigating.

I just purchased from Optus the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (Android). Despite the 10 inch screen size, it works well when geocaching with NeonGeo (no need to buy the app again).

Must admit I hardly use my Garmin Vista any more.

greynomads

Post by greynomads » 28 November 12 3:57 pm

Thanks guys. The Garmin Asus A50 was such a good combination with the groundspeak app. Ah well, I shall just have to learn another app and shell out $5. Mind you, I can't see myself hunting for caches using a 10" tablet 8-[

ruralslicker
Location: Churchill Vic 3842 (Latrobe Valley) 160 km east of Melbourne

Post by ruralslicker » 29 November 12 8:59 am

greynomads wrote: I can't see myself hunting for caches using a 10" tablet 8-[
I attended the Meet and Greet Traralgon Event Cache yesterday as part of the Great Victorian Bike Ride 2012. It was quite surprising to see and learn of others actively using a 10 inch :D tablet for geocaching.