Retreiving Comments on a Montana

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
jusojara
3000 or more caches found

Retreiving Comments on a Montana

Post by jusojara » 15 October 12 12:42 pm

Hi All, this probably will be really obvious when someone points it out but for the life of me I can't find it at the moment.

When logging a cache as found on the Montana you then (at the next screen) get the option to edit the comment but I can't find a way back to that comment when I get home either on the GPSr or through Basecamp? Help please [-o<

Thanks,
James

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Re: Retreiving Comments on a Montana

Post by gmj3191 » 15 October 12 1:01 pm

jusojara wrote:Hi All, this probably will be really obvious when someone points it out but for the life of me I can't find it at the moment.

When logging a cache as found on the Montana you then (at the next screen) get the option to edit the comment but I can't find a way back to that comment when I get home either on the GPSr or through Basecamp? Help please [-o<

Thanks,
James
When you use the GPS facility to log the Find and you add Comments, the GPS creates a one line entry in the geocache_visits.txt file in the Garmin folder.
It looks like this. At least this is what happens on the Oregon 550. I would expect other Garmins where you can log this information would do the same.

GC3T85Q,2012-10-15T02:00Z,Found it,"THIS IS THE COMMENT"

You can get at this file using Windows Explorer or any program which can read it when the GPS is attached in USB mode.

When you use GSAK to publish logs by importing the visits file from the GPS, you see the comments and get the
option to copy them into the notes data for the cache in your GSAK database.

wileyclan
2150 or more geocaches found
2150 or more geocaches found

Post by wileyclan » 15 October 12 1:05 pm

James

You can navigate to the 'Garmin' folder on your GPSr and then open the visits file. Can't remeber the exact name but its a text file and it has 'visit' in it somewhere! This will give you the GC/GA code of the caches visited as well as your comments.

The other option is that, if you are logging GC finds, is to import your Field Notes. This is achieved via Your Profile on the GC site. From there you browse to the visits text file and upload it to the GC site. You can then log your finds using the hyperlinks and if you have added a comment while out in the field, it will already be in your log section on the page.

OK, so that second option sounds strange, but hopefully it will make sense if you plug your GPSr into the computer and give it a go.

I am sure that there are other methods, but they are the two that I use as required.

Cheers 8)

jusojara

Post by jusojara » 15 October 12 2:04 pm

Thanks for the reply's so far =D> , I hadn't thought to go to the file directories and was trying to get back to it through the unit.

My task for tonight is set.