Ghosts of caches past on Nuvi maps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found

Ghosts of caches past on Nuvi maps

Post by Bewilderbeest » 17 July 12 8:47 am

I have a Garmin Nuvi 2350 which I use for in-car navigation. However, Ive noticed that when I drive around, caches that I have already found still appear on the map - the little box symbol with the GC/GA code next to it. It's becoming quite frustrating, as I drive along and boxes come into view, but I have to check first to see if I've already found it. :?

I load my geocaches to the unit using Garmin's POI Loader. I have tried using the POI Loader to delete all custom POIs then reloading, but this does not fix the problem. I have opened the GPX file off the unit into a clean GSAK DB, and the found caches do not appear in the DB. ](*,)

Any ideas how I make these ghosts disappear?

Cheers,
Pete

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Re: Ghosts of caches past on Nuvi maps

Post by crew 153 » 17 July 12 1:31 pm

Have you had a look at the Nuvi directories using Windows Explorer.

You may have and old file still resident there that you can delete.

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 18 July 12 9:44 pm

User files may also be stored in the internal memory (non-user memory).

To remove 'ghosts' and other user data, I reset the nuvi (with caution) to factory settings occasionally. Just have to re-enter some preferences and disable a map or two afterwards.
:)

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 19 July 12 12:16 am

I had to go through and delete them from the internal memory manually. If I remember correctly, it is possible to select all then deselect whichever favourites/waypoints you want to keep - on my 1390T it's under Tools - My Data - Delete Favourite(s). It seems that unlike the handhelds which only ever read from the geocaches file, the Nuvi transfer them into internal memory (like it or not) - until you run out (which is how I discovered this quirk).

:-$

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 23 July 12 9:48 am

quiet1_au wrote:I had to go through and delete them from the internal memory manually. If I remember correctly, it is possible to select all then deselect whichever favourites/waypoints you want to keep - on my 1390T it's under Tools - My Data - Delete Favourite(s). It seems that unlike the handhelds which only ever read from the geocaches file, the Nuvi transfer them into internal memory (like it or not) - until you run out (which is how I discovered this quirk).

Thanks, I'll give this a try

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 23 July 12 1:20 pm

quiet1_au wrote:I had to go through and delete them from the internal memory manually. If I remember correctly, it is possible to select all then deselect whichever favourites/waypoints you want to keep - on my 1390T it's under Tools - My Data - Delete Favourite(s). It seems that unlike the handhelds which only ever read from the geocaches file, the Nuvi transfer them into internal memory (like it or not) - until you run out (which is how I discovered this quirk).
I have the same unit as BW and had to do the same thing. I couldn't remember how I got them in the favourites in the first place as they now seem to be under extras.

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Twitter: Jardry

Post by Jardry » 23 July 12 3:01 pm

Big Matt and Shell wrote:I couldn't remember how I got them in the favourites in the first place as they now seem to be under extras.
If they are under "Extras" then they have been loaded as POI's.
Do you use GSAK to transfer waypoints?
If so, depending on how you do it, or if you are using a macro (and depending on which one), it may save the waypoints as favourites or as POI's.
Not much help, but it may explain how they got where they got.

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 24 July 12 1:25 pm

I have been getting my caches onto the Nuvi by exporting a GPX file from GSAK, then loading that using the Garmin POI loader. What appears to have been happening (and I stand to be corrected on this) is that the loader copies the file to the devices GPX folder and renames it POI.gpx. Each time a new POI.gpx file is loaded to the device, the previous version is renamed and moved to the GPX\Archive folder.

I have cleared the Archive subfolder, and my ghosts have disappeared.

This bit really is speculation on my part, but I suspect the contents of the GPX folder get compiled into a POI.gpi file (located in the POI folder) when the unit is switched on, including anything in the Archive subfolder. And this file is what has been showing on the map.

But thanks to quiet1_au and Big Matt for putting me on to the internal memory, it appears to have solved the problem.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 24 July 12 5:31 pm

Thanx heaps for sorting that, my Suzi Nuvi was driving me nuts :oops: you are are champ =D>

The Swaggies
3000 or more caches found

Post by The Swaggies » 12 October 12 10:54 pm

Bewilderbeest wrote:I have a Garmin Nuvi 2350 which I use for in-car navigation. However, Ive noticed that when I drive around, caches that I have already found still appear on the map - the little box symbol with the GC/GA code next to it. It's becoming quite frustrating, as I drive along and boxes come into view, but I have to check first to see if I've already found it. :?

Any ideas how I make these ghosts disappear?

Cheers,
Pete
Usually after I have found the cache, I go to the nuvi and find it again, then on the screen (1450T) it will save "Press for more" or something like that. When I do that it opens up to a new screen which then gives me an option to "Delete" that cache.

After that the cache does not appear again.

The Swaggies

Post by The Swaggies » 12 October 12 10:59 pm

quiet1_au wrote:I had to go through and delete them from the internal memory manually. If I remember correctly, it is possible to select all then deselect whichever favourites/waypoints you want to keep - on my 1390T it's under Tools - My Data - Delete Favourite(s).
Not a great way of doing things if you have 500+ caches in the nuvi. And if you select "Delete all Favourites" it will also take out all your addresses as well even if they are installed under address instead of favourites!

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 28 December 12 8:55 pm

A nuvi poi file can be called anything you like as long as it has the extension .poi

I use separate files for different types of poi and just delete them and remake as needed.

I don't use the nuvi for geocaching other than to make a noise if I drive close to a cache location.